Corporate Governance And The Public Interest
A theory of the firm based on strategic decision-making highlights governance as a central issue. Preferences vary over strategy but not all interests are currently being represented, resulting in a failure to govern in the public interest. As solutions, we consider the design of company law and also more immediate ways forward, focusing on regulation and democratically controlled public agencies, but stressing the fundamental significance of active, effective citizens. Throughout, the arguments are illustrated using examples from various countries and industries, including education, information technology, football and public utilities in Europe and the US.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CV4 7AL COVENTRY|
Phone: +44 (0) 2476 523202
Fax: +44 (0) 2476 523032
Web page: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tirole, Jean, 2001.
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Jenkinson, Tim & Mayer, Colin, 1992. "The Assessment: Corporate Governance and Corporate Control," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 1-10, Autumn.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, .
"Happiness, Economy and Institutions,"
IEW - Working Papers
015, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Cowling, Keith & Sugden, Roger, 1998. "The Essence of the Modern Corporation: Markets, Strategic Decision-Making and the Theory of the Firm," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 59-86, January.
- Franks, Julian & Mayer, Colin, 1996. "Hostile takeovers and the correction of managerial failure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 163-181, January.
- Schneider-Lenne, Ellen R, 1992. "Corporate Control in Germany," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 11-23, Autumn.
- Rydqvist, Kristian, 1992. "Dual-Class Shares: A Review," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 45-57, Autumn.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Cowling, Keith & Sugden, Roger, 1998. "Strategic Trade Policy Reconsidered: National Rivalry vs Free Trade vs International Cooperation," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 339-57.
- Yafeh, Yishay, 2000. "Corporate Governance in Japan: Past Performance and Future Prospects," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 74-84, Summer.
- Prowse, Stephen D., 1990. "Institutional investment patterns and corporate financial behavior in the United States and Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 43-66, September.
- Becht, Marco & Roell, Ailsa, 1999. "Blockholdings in Europe:: An international comparison1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1049-1056, April.
- Kenneth Scott, 1999. "Institutions of Corporate Governance," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 155(1), pages 3-, March.
- Elaine Sternberg, 1997. "The Defects of Stakeholder Theory," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 3-10, 01.
- Kester, W Carl, 1992. "Industrial Groups as Systems of Contractual Governance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 24-44, Autumn.
- Franks, Julian & Mayer, Colin, 1998. "Bank control, takeovers and corporate governance in Germany," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1385-1403, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wrk:warwec:626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Morris)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.