The Efficacy of Foreign Exchange Market Intervention in Malawi
The Malawi Kwacha was floated in February 1994. However, the Reserve Bank of Malawi has actively intervened in the foreign exchange market. Both the levels and volatility of the exchange rate have changed so much between January 1995 and December 2003, perhaps connoting that the market is not working so well or else a result of impromptu management. Using the daily exchange rate and official intervention data from January 1995 to December 2003 the paper is intended to examine the effects the Reserve Bank of Malawi foreign exchange operations have had on the level and volatility of the Malawi Kwacha exchange rate. The direct effects on the level of exchange rate will be assessed using an event study approach. Policy intervention effects on the exchange rate volatility shall be examined over the period of floatation of the exchange rate..
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Kearns & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "Identifying the Efficacy of Central Bank Interventions: The Australian Case," NBER Working Papers 9062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Soyoung, 2003. "Monetary policy, foreign exchange intervention, and the exchange rate in a unifying framework," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 355-386, August.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 161-190, February.
- Hali Edison & Paul Cashin & Hong Liang, 2006.
"Foreign exchange intervention and the Australian dollar: has it mattered?,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 155-171.
- Hong Liang & Paul Cashin & Hali J. Edison, 2003. "Foreign Exchange Intervention and the Australian Dollar; Has it Mattered?," IMF Working Papers 03/99, International Monetary Fund.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2002. "The determinants of foreign exchange intervention by central banks: evidence from Australia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 619-649, October.
- Robert Andrew & John Broadbent, 1994. "Reserve Bank Operations in the Foreign Exchange Market: Effectiveness and Profitability," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9406, Reserve Bank of Australia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0407022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.