Dedollarizing the Peruvian Economy
Financial dollarization creates design problems for economic policy as increases the level of financial vulnerability. However, countries with high levels of dollarization have done almost nothing to reduce it. In this paper we study two ways to do it and we evaluate them within a model that emphasizes a portfolio approach. We calibrate the model to replicate the Peruvian economy. The two policy options that we consider are: (i) increasing the risk of dollar deposits, reducing the level of coverage in the safety net mechanism; (ii) increasing the relative volatility of inflation vis-à-vis real depreciation. Our results show that the former has the potential risk of lowering the level of financial intermediation, whereas the second might be more effective to de-dollarize the economy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ize, Alain & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2003. "Financial dollarization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 323-347, March.
- Eduardo Moron & Diego Winkelried, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Rules for Financially Vulnerable EconomieEd,"
- Moron, Eduardo & Winkelried, Diego, 2005. "Monetary policy rules for financially vulnerable economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 23-51, February.
- Eduardo MorÃ³n & Diego Winkelried, 2003. "Monetary Policy Rules for Financially Vulnerable Economies," IMF Working Papers 03/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alain Ize, 1998. "Dollarization of Financial Intermediation; Causes and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 98/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Broda & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2003.
"Endogenous deposit dollarization,"
160, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2003. "Financial Dedollarization: A Carrot and Stick Approach," Business School Working Papers nueve, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Patrick Honohan & Alain Ize, 2003.
"Dollarization of the Banking System; Good or Bad?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/146, International Monetary Fund.
- De Nicolo, Gianni & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2003. "Dollarization of the banking system : good or bad?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3116, The World Bank.
- Gerardo Licandro & José Antonio Licandro, 2003. "Building the Dedollarization Agenda: Lessons from the Uruguayan Case," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 193-218, July-Dece.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0312005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.