International Trade Policy towards Monopolies and Oligopolies
We study the effect of market structure upon international trade policy when firms invest in process R&D before competing in a differentiated goods market. For a domestic monopoly, and increasing the number of foreign firms, the government either chooses a R&D (and output) subsidy, or remains inactive. For a domestic duopoly a government taxes, subsidizes, or does not promote R&D depending upon the number of domestic firms and the degree of product differentiation. R&D (and output) is taxed for high levels of product differentiation. For lower levels of product differentiation only one country may subsidize in equilibrium. Further, the results are robust to Cournot or Bertrand competition.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:||17 Mar 2003|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf file; prepared on Scientific Workplace; to print on any printer; pages: 20 ; figures: included in text|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://184.108.40.206 |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995.
"Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-62, September.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
NBER Working Papers
1192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Brander, James A, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 707-22, October.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1984. "International Trade Policy for Oligopolistic Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 1-16, Supplemen.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984.
"Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry,"
NBER Working Papers
1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985. "Export subsidies and international market share rivalry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- Krishna, K. & Thursby, M., 1991.
"Optimal Polocies with Strategic Distortions,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1004, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Grossman, Gene M, 1986.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy under Oligopoly,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199136 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1996.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy without Government Commitment,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 322-38, October.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995. "International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy without Government Commitment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982. "Tariff Protection and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 517, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Avinash Dixit, 1979.
"A Model of Duopoly Suggesting a Theory of Entry Barriers,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 20-32, Spring.
- Dixit, Avinash K., 1978. "A Model of Duopoly Suggesting a Theory of Entry Barriers," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 125, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Celia COSTA CABRAL & Praveen KUJAL & Emmanuel PETRAKIS, 1998. "Incentives for Cost Reducing Innovations under Quantitative Import Restraints," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 49-50, pages 479-493.
- Maggi, Giovanni, 1996. "Strategic Trade Policies with Endogenous Mode of Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 237-58, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpit:0302002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.