Alternatives to the U.S. Antitrust Agency Approach to Market Definition
1. Introduction Along with widespread acknowledgement of the importance of relevant market definitions to the outcome of most antitrust cases, there is extensive commentary on the inconsistency with which the concept has been applied by the courts. Consistency, of course, requires a coherent underlying framework. Based on the above statement of Justice Fortas and the central importance of competition policy in a free-enterprise system, it might be expected that economists would have contributed significantly to developing the requisite framework. That this has not historically been the case has been pointed out by Stigler: "My lament is that this battle on market definitions...has received virtually no attention from us economists. Except for a casual flirtation with cross- elasticity of demand and supply, the determination of markets has remained an undeveloped area of economic research at either the theoretical or empirical level."
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - WordPerfect; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP; pages: 35 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://126.96.36.199|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, J.H. & Macleod, W.B. & Thisse, J-F., 1988.
"Spacial Competition And The Core,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
110-89, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jonathan H. Hamilton & W. Bentley MacLeod, 1987. "Spatial Competition and the Core," Working Papers 704, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Macleod, W.P. & Thisse, J.F., 1988. "Spatial Competition And The Core," Papers 88-6, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- HAMILTON, John H. & MacLEOD, W. Bentley & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Spatial competition and the core," CORE Discussion Papers RP -986, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philips, Louis & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1982.
"Spatial Competition and the Theory of Differentiated Markets: An Introduction,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-9, September.
- PHLIPS, Louis & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Spatial competition and the theory of differentiated markets: an introduction," CORE Discussion Papers RP -493, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Vives, Xavier, 1985. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot equilibria with product differentation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 166-175, June.
- Greenhut, John & Greenhut, M L & Li, Sheng-yung, 1980. "Spatial Pricing Patterns in the United States," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 329-50, March.
- Stigler, George J, 1982. "The Economists and the Problem of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 1-11, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:9706003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.