Competition and Efficiency in Congested Markets
We study the efficiency of oligopoly equilibria in congested markets. The motivating examples are the allocation of network flows in a communication network or of traffic in a transportation network. We show that increasing competition among oligopolists can reduce efficiency, measured as the difference between users' willingness to pay and delay costs. We characterize a tight bound of 5/6 on efficiency in pure strategy equilibria. This bound is tight even when the number of routes and oligopolists is arbitrarily large. We also study the efficiency properties of mixed strategy equilibria.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Publication status:||published as Acemoglu, Daron and Asuman Ozdaglar. "Competition and Efficiency in Congested Markets." Mathematics of Operations Research 32 (February 2007): 1-31.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Novshek, William, 1985.
"Perfectly competitive markets as the limits of cournot markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 72-82, February.
- Novshek, William., 1983. "Perfectly Competitive Markets as the Limits of Cournot Markets," Working Papers 499, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Oliver D. Hart, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition in a Large Economy with Differentiated Commodities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 1-30.
- Roberts, Donald John & Postlewaite, Andrew, 1976. "The Incentives for Price-Taking Behavior in Large Exchange Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 115-127, January.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26.
- Correa, Jose R. & Schulz, Andreas S. & Stier Moses, Nicolas E., 2003. "Selfish Routing in Capacitated Networks," Working papers 4319-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jean-Pascal Benassy, 1989. "Market Size and Substitutability in Imperfect Competition: A Bertrand-Edgeworth-Chamberlin Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(2), pages 217-234.
- Vives, Xavier, 1985. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot equilibria with product differentation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 166-175, June.
- Wilson, Robert, 1997. "Nonlinear Pricing," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195115826. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)