Bertrand Competition Under Uncertainty
Consider a Bertrand model in which each firm may be inactive with a known probability, so the number of active firms is uncertain. This simple model has a mixed-strategy equilibrium in which industry profits are positive and decline with the number of firms, the same features which make the Cournot model attractive. Unlike in a Cournot model with similar incomplete information, Bertrand profits always increase in the probability other firms are inactive. Profits do decline more sharply than in the Cournot model, and the pattern is similar to that found by Bresnahan and Reiss (1991).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Levitan & Martin Shubik, 1970.
"Price Duopoly and Capacity Constraints,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
287, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991.
"Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- Steven C. Salop & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1977.
"Bargains and ripoffs: a model of monopolistically competitive price dispersion,"
Special Studies Papers
94, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Steven Salop & Joseph Stiglitz, 1977. "Bargains and Ripoffs: A Model of Monopolistically Competitive Price Dispersion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(3), pages 493-510.
- Janssen, Maarten C. W. & van Reeven, Peran, 1998. "Market Prices and Illegal Practices," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 51-60, March.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1995. "Bertrand Competition When Rivals' Costs Are Unknown," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Gérard Gaudet & Stephen W. Salant, 1991.
"Uniqueness of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 399-404.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S., 1988. "Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Papers 89-10, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S.W., 1988. "Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Cahiers de recherche 8818, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Elberfeld, Walter & Wolfstetter, Elmar, 1999.
"A dynamic model of Bertrand competition with entry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 513-525, May.
- Elmar Wolfstetter & Walter Elberfeld, 1997. "A Dynamic Model of Bertrand Competition with Entry," Microeconomics 9701003, EconWPA.
- Elizabeth J. Warner & Robert B. Barsky, 1995. "The Timing and Magnitude of Retail Store Markdowns: Evidence from Weekends and Holidays," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 321-352.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, II: Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 27-41.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions with a stochastic number of bidders," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, October.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Judd, Kenneth L, 1983. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 955-969, July.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:9607002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.