More on Bernanke's “Bad News Principle”
The role that Bernanke’s Bad News Principle plays in the modern theory of investment under uncertainty is analyzed. The analysis shows that the actual investment dilemma is that by delaying investment firms trade off a higher present value of earnings for a lower present value of the investment cost, in contrast to previous interpretations of this dilemma. The economic interpretation of the Smooth Pasting Condition is clarified too: it represents the trade-off mentioned above. I also show that investment triggers may stay intact despite changes in the profit process, if the changes are restricted to the range of sufficiently high profits.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990.
"Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment,"
3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Leahy, John V, 1993. "Investment in Competitive Equilibrium: The Optimality of Myopic Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1105-33, November.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Investment and Hysteresis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 107-132, Winter.
- Dixit, A., 1988.
"Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Dixit, Avinash & Pindyck, Robert S & Sodal, Sigbjorn, 1999. "A Markup Interpretation of Optimal Investment Rules," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(455), pages 179-89, April.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:3:y:1999:i:3:p:451-62 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Strange, William C, 1996. "Investment Lags," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 610-22, June.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1991. "Irreversible Investment with Price Ceilings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 541-57, June.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1991. "Super contact and related optimality conditions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 675-685, October.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1991. "A simplified treatment of the theory of optimal regulation of Brownian motion," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 657-673, October.
- Tarun Sabarwal, 2005.
"The non-neutrality of debt in investment timing: a new NPV rule,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 433-445, October.
- Tarun Sabarwal, 2004. "The Non-Neutrality of Debt in Investment Timing: A New NPV Rule," Finance 0410004, EconWPA, revised 20 May 2005.
- Drazen, Allan & Sakellaris, Plutarchos, 1999.
"News About News: Information Arrival and Irreversible Investment,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 451-462, September.
- Allan Drazen & Plutarchos Sakellaris, 1999. "News About News: Information Arrival and Irreversible Investment," NBER Technical Working Papers 0244, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Sodal, Sigbjorn, 1998. "A simplified exposition of smooth pasting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 217-223, February.
- Kongsted, Hans Christian, 1996. "Entry and exit decisions under uncertainty: The limiting deterministic case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 77-82, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpgt:0510002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.