Commodity Futures Contract Viability: A Multidisciplinary Approach
We propose a development process of commodity futures contracts in which the decisions and wishes of potential customers are investigated simultaneously with the necessary technical properties that need to be met for trading to take place. Within this framework the relationship between trading volume and hedging effectiveness is examined taking both basis risk and market depth risk into account, and the relationship between owner-manager's characteristics and the probability of using futures is examined, taking latent variables and the heterogeneity of owner-managers into account. The relationships are tested on a set of data gathered in a stratified sample of 440 owner-managers by means of computer-assisted personal interviews and on transaction-specific futures data. Structural equation models and multiple regression models are used to validate the relationships. The hedging effectiveness and the variables that play a role in the owner-manager's use of futures are related to the tools of the exchange.
|Date of creation:||01 May 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; pages: 40 ; figures: included. Office for Futures and Options Research (OFOR) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Working Paper 99-02. For a complete list of OFOR working papers see http://w3.ag.uiuc.edu/ACE/ofor|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://188.8.131.52|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Christine Ennew & Wyn Morgan & Tony Rayner, 1992. "Role of attitudes in the decision to use futures markets: The case of the London potato futures market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 561-573.
- Thaler, Richard H, 1997. "Irving Fisher: Modern Behavioral Economist," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 439-41, May.
- Mian, Shehzad L., 1996. "Evidence on Corporate Hedging Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 419-439, September.
- Rolfo, Jacques, 1980. "Optimal Hedging under Price and Quantity Uncertainty: The Case of a Cocoa Producer," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 100-116, February.
- Eliashberg, Jehoshua. & Hauser, John R., 1983. "A measurement error approach for modeling consumer risk preference," Working papers 1439-83., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- James G. March & Zur Shapira, 1987. "Managerial Perspectives on Risk and Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(11), pages 1404-1418, November.
- Sik-Yum Lee & S. Wang, 1996. "Sensitivity analysis of structural equation models," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 61(1), pages 93-108, March.
- Elke U. Weber & Richard A. Milliman, 1997. "Perceived Risk Attitudes: Relating Risk Perception to Risky Choice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 123-144, February.
- Yiu-Fai Yung, 1997. "Finite mixtures in confirmatory factor-analysis models," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 62(3), pages 297-330, September.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1980. " Hedging and Joint Production: Theory and Illustrations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 487-98, May.
- Roger J. Bowden, 1995. "Production Organisation and Risk Control When Market Instruments Are Available," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 1073-1082, June.
- Paroush, Jacob & Wolf, Avner, 1992. "The Derived Demand with Hedging Cost Uncertainty in the Futures Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 831-44, July.
- Catherine Schrand & Haluk Unal, 1998. "Hedging and Coordinated Risk Management: Evidence from Thrift Conversions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 979-1013, 06.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
- John C. Hershey & Howard C. Kunreuther & Paul J. H. Schoemaker, 1982. "Sources of Bias in Assessment Procedures for Utility Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(8), pages 936-954, August.
- Jehoshua Eliashberg & John R. Hauser, 1985. "A Measurement Error Approach for Modeling Consumer Risk Preference," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Kamel Jedidi & Harsharanjeet S. Jagpal & Wayne S. DeSarbo, 1997. "Finite-Mixture Structural Equation Models for Response-Based Segmentation and Unobserved Heterogeneity," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 39-59.
- Joost M. E. Pennings & Matthew T. G. Meulenberg, 1997. "The hedging performance in new agricultural futures markets: A note," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 295-300.
- Howard, Charles T. & D'Antonio, Louis J., 1984. "A Risk-Return Measure of Hedging Effectiveness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 101-112, March.
- Jennifer Lynch Koski & Jeffrey Pontiff, 1999.
"How Are Derivatives Used? Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 791-816, 04.
- Jennifer Koski & Jeffrey Pontiff, 1996. "How Are Derivatives Used? Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lehmann, Bruce N & Modest, David M, 1994. " Trading and Liquidity on the Tokyo Stock Exchange: A Bird's Eye View," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 951-84, July.
- John C. Hershey & Paul J. H. Schoemaker, 1985. "Probability Versus Certainty Equivalence Methods in Utility Measurement: Are they Equivalent?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(10), pages 1213-1231, October.
- Cuny, Charles J, 1993. "The Role of Liquidity in Futures Market Innovations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 57-78.
- David Carter & Joseph Sinkey, 1998. "The Use of Interest Rate Derivatives by End-users: The Case of Large Community Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 17-34, July.
- Johnston, Elizabeth Tashjian & McConnell, John J, 1989. "Requiem for a Market: An Analysis of the Rise and Fall of a Financial Futures Contract," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 1-23.
- Joost M. E. Pennings & W. Erno Kuiper & Frenkel ter Hofstede & Matthew T. G. Meulenberg, 1998. "The price path due to order imbalances: evidence from the Amsterdam Agricultural Futures Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 4(1), pages 47-64.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Larry D. Makus & Biing-Hwan Lin & John Carlson & Rose Krebill-Prather, 1990. "Factors influencing farm level use of futures and options in commodity marketing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 621-631.
- Bruce N. Lehmann and David M. Modest., 1994. "Trading and Liquidity on the Tokyo Stock Exchange: A Bird's Eye View," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-234, University of California at Berkeley.
- Ale Smidts, 1997. "The Relationship Between Risk Attitude and Strength of Preference: A Test of Intrinsic Risk Attitude," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 357-370, March.
- Holthausen, Duncan M, 1979. "Hedging and the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 989-95, December.
- Tashjian, Elizabeth, 1995. "Optimal futures contract design," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 153-162.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:9905002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.