The CAPM-Extended Divisia Monetary Aggregate with Exact Tracking under Risk
This paper extends the field of index number theory to the case of risk, by deriving the Divisia index from the Euler equations under risk, rather than from the first order conditions under perfect certainty, as was done by Francois Divisia. The result is an extended Divisia index which corrects for risk by subtracting from each risky user cost price a CCAPM beta term. The formula is derived and illustrated in terms of aggregation over monetary assets that yield risky return paid at the end of the period. Hence the beta correction is a function of the covariance between each rate of return and the consumption stream, and also depends upon the degree of risk aversion.
|Date of creation:||12 Feb 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Microsoft Word; prepared on Macintosh; to print on Postscript; pages: 24 ; figures: None.. See|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley, 1974. "Money and the Production Function," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 517-33, December.
- Mark Rubinstein, 1976. "The Valuation of Uncertain Income Streams and the Pricing of Options," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 407-425, Autumn.
- Blackorby, C. & Davidson, R. & Schworm, W., 1990.
"Implicit Separability: Characterisation And Implications For Consumer Demands,"
90a16, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Blackorby, Charles & Davidson, Russell & Schworm, William, 1991. "Implicit separability: Characterisation and implications for consumer demands," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 364-399, December.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- James H. Stock & Martin Feldstein, 1994.
"Measuring Money Growth When Financial Markets Are Changing,"
NBER Working Papers
4888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Stock, James H., 1996. "Measuring money growth when financial markets are changing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-27, February.
- Rotemberg, J.J. & Driscoll, J.C. & Poterba, J.M., 1991.
"Money, Output, and Prices: Evidence from a New Monetary Aggregate,"
585, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Driscoll, John C & Poterba, James M, 1995. "Money, Output, and Prices: Evidence from a New Monetary Aggregate," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 67-83, January.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & John C. Driscoll & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Money, Output and Prices: Evidence from A New Monetary Aggregate," NBER Working Papers 3824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates an application of index number and aggregation theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-48, September.
- Belongia, Michael T, 1996. "Measurement Matters: Recent Results from Monetary Economics Reexamined," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 1065-83, October.
- Blackorby, Charles & Schworm, William, 1984. "The Structure of Economies with Aggregate Measures of Capital: A Complete Characterization," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 633-50, October.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Blackorby Charles & Russell R. Robert, 1994. "The Conjunction of Direct and Indirect Separability," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 480-498, April.
- William Barnett, 2005.
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200510, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2005.
- G. Constantinides, 1990.
"Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1397, David K. Levine.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990. "Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-43, June.
- William A. Barnett & Melvin Hinich & Piyu Yue, 1989. "Monitoring monetary aggregates under risk aversion," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, pages 189-245.
- Stahl, Dale O, II, 1983. "Quasi-Homothetic Preferences, the Generalized Divisia Quantity Index, and Aggregation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 87-93, February.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1973. "Divisia Index Numbers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1017-25, November.
- Barnett, William A & Fisher, Douglas & Serletis, Apostolos, 1992. "Consumer Theory and the Demand for Money," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 2086-2119, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:9602001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.