Corporate Governance as an instrument of change state owned Corporate Governance as an instrument of change state owned companies: The case of the Hellenic Telecommunications Organization
This paper analyses the evolution of Corporate Governance (CG) mechanisms and organizational changes of the Hellenic Telecommunication Organization (HTO) and has two objectives: to enrich the debate and to contribute to the increasing body of literature by examining and analyzing the organizational and institutional changes taken place in the HTO; and to place the HTO’s case within the international debate regarding the privatization of state-owned companies and the importance of CG mechanisms as instruments of change. It is argued that the privatization of state-owned companies, when is accompanied with appropriate reform measures, can produce multiple positive effects. CG reforms were the main instruments that used in order to prepare the telecommunications incumbent to face the open and competitive markets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Dewatripont, M & Maskin, E, 1995.
"Credit and Efficiency in Centralized and Decentralized Economies,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 541-55, October.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Eric Maskin, 1995. "Credit and efficiency in centralized and decentralized economies," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9603, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Eric Maskin, 2004. "Credit and efficiency in centralized and decentralized economies," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9605, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jones, Steven L. & Megginson, William L. & Nash, Robert C. & Netter, Jeffry M., 1999. "Share issue privatizations as financial means to political and economic ends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 217-253, August.
- Germa Bel & Francesc Trillas, 2004.
"Privatization, Corporate Control and Regulatory Reform: The case of Telefonica,"
- Bel, Germà & Trillas, Francesc, 2005. "Privatization, corporate control and regulatory reform: the case of Telefonica," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Goldstein Andrea E., 2000. "Corporate Governance and Regulation in Privatized Utilities: Telecommunications in Four European Countries," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-36, August.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Paul H. Malatesta & Kathryn L. DeWenter, 2001. "State-Owned and Privately Owned Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Profitability, Leverage, and Labor Intensity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 320-334, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0508004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.