Factors Influencing Brazilian Firms in their Decision to List on Foreign Stock Exchanges
The paper’s purpose is to determine empirically factors that influence Brazilian firms in their decision to cross-border list their stock. The methodology adopted involves an economic analysis of Brazilian cross- listed firms, characterizing and differentiating them from non cross- listed firms, univariate and multivariate tests, using the logit model and a sample of 288 firms listed on Brazilian stock exchanges. The economic analysis shows that cross-listed firms invest substantially, and are profitable, dynamic, and highly valued on the domestic market. The results of the hypotheses tests indicate that size, stock market share, exposure on foreign markets, and best practices of corporate governance seem to be factors influencing Brazilian firms to cross list. Firms belonging to the Telecommunications industry sector seem to have a higher probability to cross-list. The relevance of the study is in improving the knowledge on the behavior of Brazilian firms in international capital markets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Pagano & Otto Randl & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2000.
"What Makes Stock Exchanges Succeed? Evidence from Cross-Listing Decisions,"
CSEF Working Papers
50, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Roell, Ailsa A. & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "What makes stock exchanges succeed? Evidence from cross-listing decisions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 770-782, May.
- Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "What Makes Stock Exchanges Succeed? Evidence from Cross-Listing Decisions," CEPR Discussion Papers 2683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002.
"The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999. "The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CSEF Working Papers 28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1995. " The New Issues Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 23-51, March.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Bera, Anil K & Jarque, Carlos M & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1984. "Testing the Normality Assumption in Limited Dependent Variable Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 563-78, October.
- Bin, Feng-Shun & Morris, Gay B. & Chen, Dar-Hsin, 2003. "Effects of exchange-rate and interest-rate risk on ADR pricing behavior," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 241-262, August.
- Dhrymes, Phoebus J., 1986. "Limited dependent variables," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1567-1631 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0503017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.