Efficient Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices
Geometric optimisation algorithms are developed that efficiently find the nearest low-rank correlation matrix. We show, in numerical tests, that our methods compare favourably to the existing methods in the literature. The connection with the Lagrange multiplier method is established, along with an identification of whether a local minimum is a global minimum. An additional benefit of the geometric approach is that any weighted norm can be applied. The problem of finding the nearest low-rank correlation matrix occurs as part of the calibration of multi-factor interest rate market models to correlation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marek Rutkowski & Marek Musiela, 1997. "Continuous-time term structure models: Forward measure approach (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 261-291.
- Miltersen, Kristian R & Sandmann, Klaus & Sondermann, Dieter, 1997.
" Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 409-430, March.
- Miltersen, K. & K. Sandmann & D. Sondermann, 1994. "Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates," Discussion Paper Serie B 308, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1997. "LIBOR and swap market models and measures (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 293-330.
- Pietersz, R. & Groenen, P.J.F., 2004.
"Rank reduction of correlation matrices by majorization,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2004-11, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Raoul Pietersz & Patrick Groenen, 2004. "Rank reduction of correlation matrices by majorization," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(6), pages 649-662.
- Raoul Pietersz & Patrick J. F. Groenen, 2005. "Rank Reduction of Correlation Matrices by Majorization," Finance 0502006, EconWPA.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth Singleton, 2003. "Term Structure Dynamics in Theory and Reality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 631-678, July.
- Alan Brace & Dariusz G¸atarek & Marek Musiela, 1997. "The Market Model of Interest Rate Dynamics," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 127-155.
- Frank de Jong & Joost Driessen & Antoon Pelsser, 2004. "On the Information in the Interest Rate Term Structure and Option Prices," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 99-127, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0502007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.