Research in Econometric Theory: Quantitative and Qualitative Productivity Rankings
We rank institutions and researchers based on a standardized page count of their econometric theory publications over the last eleven years (1986-1996) in nine economics and statistics journals. Our ranking criteria differ from those employed by Hall (1987, 1990) and Baltagi (1998). We weight the standardized page count of a publication by the publishing journal's 'impact factor', which measures a journal's impact on the profession. We also depart from the previous rankings by focusing on publications in theoretical econometrics. Our rankings reveal Yale University to be the leading academic institution enjoying a large lead over the other top institutions: University of Chicago, M.I.T. and London School of Economics. Our rankings also reveal that Peter Phillips and Donald Andrews (both affiliated with Yale University) are the leading researchers in theoretical econometrics. We also provide a ranking of countries.
|Date of creation:||06 Nov 1997|
|Date of revision:||04 Mar 1998|
|Note:||Type of Document - PostScript file; prepared on IBM Pentium Window NT LaTeX; to print on PostScript; pages: 10 ; figures: none|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, A. D., 1990. "Worldwide Rankings of Research Activity in Econometrics: An Update: 1980–1988," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 1-16, March.
- Scott, Loren C & Mitias, Peter M, 1996. "Trends in Rankings of Economics Departments in the U.S.: An Update," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(2), pages 378-400, April.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1998. "Worldwide Institutional Rankings In Econometrics: 1989 1995," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 1-43, February.
- Richard Dusansky & Clayton J. Vernon, 1998. "Rankings of U.S. Economics Departments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 157-170, Winter.
- Phillips, P.C.B. & Choi, I. & Schochet, P.Z., 1988. "Worldwide Institutional and Individual Rankings in Statistical Theory by Journal Publications over the period 1980–1986," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 1-34, April.
- Hall, A. D., 1987. "Worldwide Rankings of Research Activity in Econometrics: 1980–1985," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 171-194, April.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:9711001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.