Beyond GDP: Methodological and measurement issues in redefining “wealth”
In the last decades; a growing stock of literature has been devoted to the criticism of GDP as an indicator of societal wealth. A relevant question is: what are the perspectives to build, on the existing knowledge and consensus, alternative measures of prosperity? A starting point may be to connect well-being research agenda with the sustainability one. However, there is no doubt that there is a lot of complexity and fuzziness inherent in multidimensional concepts such as sustainability and well-being. This article analyses the theoretical foundations and the empirical validity of some multidimensional technical tools that can be used for well-being evaluation and assessment. Of course one should not forget that policy conclusions derived through any mathematical model depend also on the conceptual framework used, i.e. which representation of reality (and thus which societal values and interests) has been considered.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edifici B, Campus UAB, 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain|
Phone: +34 935811203
Fax: +34 935812012
Web page: http://www.h-economica.uab.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2003.
"Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesising Social Inclusion Performance in the EU,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0301, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2004. "Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesizing Social Inclusion Performance in the EU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(5), pages 919-955, December.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Igor Masten, 2003.
"Leading Indicators for Euro-area Inflation and GDP Growth,"
235, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Igor Masten, 2005. "Leading Indicators for Euro-area Inflation and GDP Growth," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(s1), pages 785-813, December.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Marcellino, Massimiliano & Masten, Igor, 2003. "Leading Indicators for Euro Area Inflation and GDP Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1995.
"An axiomatic approach to sustainable development,"
8609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barthelemy, J. P. & Guenoche, A. & Hudry, O., 1989. "Median linear orders: Heuristics and a branch and bound algorithm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 313-325, October.
- Kenneth J Arrow, 2010.
"Sustainability and the Measurement of Wealth,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
369, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Kenneth J. Arrow, 1997. "Invaluable Goods," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 757-765, June.
- Laurens Cherchye & Knox Lovell & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2005.
"One Market, One Number? A Composite Indicator Assessment of EU Internal Market Dynamics,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0513, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Knox Lovell, C.A. & Moesen, Wim & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2007. "One market, one number? A composite indicator assessment of EU internal market dynamics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 749-779, April.
- Bouyssou, Denis, 1986. "Some remarks on the notion of compensation in MCDM," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 150-160, July.
- Giles Atkinson & Kirk Hamilton, 2007. "Progress along the path: evolving issues in the measurement of genuine saving," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(1), pages 43-61, May.
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco & Jensen, Mark J. & Novo, lvaro A., 1999.
"Research In Econometric Theory: Quantitative And Qualitative Productivity Rankings,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(05), pages 719-752, October.
- Francisco Cribari-Neto & Mark J. Jensen & Alvaro C. Novo, 1997. "Research in Econometric Theory: Quantitative and Qualitative Productivity Rankings," Econometrics 9711001, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 1998.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:uhewps:2012_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jesus Ramos-Martin)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.