If only I could sack you! Management turnover and performance in large German Banks between 1874 and 1913
We analyze the relation of firm performance and managerial turnover in 19th century German banking by probit estimation. This period covers a major reform of corporate governance. Before the reform performance and turnover are unrelated, wheras after the reform more succesfull managers leave firms more seldom. However, only short run performance matters.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franks, Julian R & Mayer, Colin, 2001.
"Ownership and Control of German Corporations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2898, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julian Franks & Colin Mayer, 2001. "Ownership and Control of German Corporations," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe11, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Colin Mayer & Julian Franks, 2000. "Ownership and Control of German Corporations," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-FE-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bayer & Carsten Burhop, 2004.
"A Corporate Governance Reform as a Natural Experiment for Incentive Contracts,"
- Christian Bayer & Carsten Burhop, 2008. "A Corporate Governance Reform as a Natural Experiment for Incentive Contracts," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 60(4), pages 378-399, October.
- Carsten Burhop & Christian Bayer, 2004. "A Corporate Governance Reform As A Natural Experiment For Incentive Contracts," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 149, Royal Economic Society.
- Mark R. Huson, 2001. "Internal Monitoring Mechanisms and CEO Turnover: A Long-Term Perspective," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2265-2297, December.
- Steven N Kaplan, 1994.
"Top Executives, Turnover and Firm Performance in Germany,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0045, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Kaplan, Steven N, 1994. "Top Executives, Turnover, and Firm Performance in Germany," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 142-59, April.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1993. "Top Executives, Turnover and Firm Performance in Germany," NBER Working Papers 4416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1992. "Top Executive Rewards and Firm Performance: A Comparison of Japan and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 4065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clifford G. Holderness & Randall S. Kroszner & Dennis P. Sheehan, 1999. "Were the Good Old Days That Good? Changes in Managerial Stock Ownership Since the Great Depression," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 435-469, 04.
- Conyon, Martin J, 1998. "Directors' Pay and Turnover: An Application to a Sample of Large UK Firms," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(4), pages 485-507, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpeh:0502006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.