Maquiladora Prospects in a Global Economy
The in-bond manufacturing sector in Mexico, popularly known as the 'maquiladora' industry, suffered a number of job cuts and plant closures between 2001 and 2003. Business cycle downturns, fiscal uncertainty, excessive red tape, exchange rate overvaluation, and foreign competition all contributed to the difficulties observed during that period. In the absence of market-oriented structural reforms, the sector is likely to continue to perform at less than full capacity.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Pagés-Serra, 2000. "The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Fall 2000), pages 109-154, August.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:7:y:2001:i:4:p:471-478 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jesus Canas & Roberto Coronado, 2002. "Maquiladora industry: past, present and future," Business Frontier, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Carmen Pagés & James J. Heckman, 2000.
"The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
4119, Inter-American Development Bank.
- James J. Heckman & Carmen Pages, 2000. "The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 7773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen Pagés-Serra & James J. Heckman, 2000. "The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets," Research Department Publications 4227, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Roberto Coronado & Thomas M. Fullerton Jr. & Don P. Clark, 2004. "Short-run maquiladora employment dynamics in Tijuana," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(4), pages 751-763, December.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & David A Schauer, 2004.
"Short-Run Maquiladora Employment Dynamics,"
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0408017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.