The Euromediterranean Free Trade Area: A New Form Of Regional Cooperation?
In this paper the practicability of a free trade area has been examined. The classical Viner’s trade creation and trade diversion effects have been considered, and although they refer to a static analysis it can be shown that they still may lead to important conclusions in terms of welfare and trade. The dynamic effects have, however, also been considered being these that make the major contribution to the growth of a developing country. This analysis has been then applied to a concrete case, that of the participation of Morocco and Tunisia to the Euromediterranean free trade area (EMFTA). The aim is to assess whether the EMFTA is the right tool available to foster the economic growth of the non European Mediterranean countries. From the analysis it appears that alternative measures are needed in order to accomplish the goal of the co-development as stated in the Barcelona declaration. Strategic integration is the model identified in order to develop such measures.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bruno Venditto & Immacolata Caruso, 2004. "Co-Operation In The Mediterranean Agricultural Sector, Maghreb And Southern Italy: A Working Hypothesis," Development and Comp Systems 0408004, EconWPA.
- Yilmaz Akyuz & Ha-Joon Chang & Richard Kozul-Wright, 1998. "New perspectives on East Asian development," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 4-36.
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Rutstrom, E.E. & Tarr, David, 1993. "Morocco's free trade agreement with the European community : a quantitative assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1173, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0408005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.