Commercial Bank Risk Management: An Analysis of the Process
Throughout the past year, on-site visits to financial service firms were conducted to review and evaluate their financial risk management systems. The commercial banking analysis covered a number of North American super-regionals and quasi-money center institutions as well as several firms outside the U.S. The information obtained covered both the philosophy and practice of financial risk management. This paper outlines the results of this investigation. It reports the state of risk management techniques in the industry. It reports the standard of practice and evaluates how and why it is conducted in the particular way chosen. In addition, critiques are offered where appropriate. We discuss the problems which the industry finds most difficult to address, shortcomings of the current methodology used to analyze risk, and the elements that are missing in the current procedures of risk management.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367|
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993. " Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-1658, December.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Christopher Marshall & Michael Siegel, 1996. "Value at Risk: Implementing a Risk Measurement Standard," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-47, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- George S. Oldfield & Anthony M. Santomero, 1997. "The Place of Risk Management in Financial Institutions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M., 1993. "Forecasting required loan loss reserves," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3-4), pages 315-329.
- Santomero, Anthony M, 1984. "Modeling the Banking Firm: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 576-602, November.
- William Fallon, 1996. "Calculating Value-at-Risk," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-49, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1991. "Securitization, risk, and the liquidity problem in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 181, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennin:95-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.