The Finnish payroll tax cut experiment revisited, or where did the money go?
In this paper I evaluate the effects of a regional experiment that reduced payroll-taxes by 3â€“6 percentage points of the firmâ€™s wage sum in Northern and Eastern Finland. I estimate the effect of the payroll-tax reduction on firmsâ€™ employment, wage sum and profits, and on workers hourly pay and monthly hours worked, by comparing employment and wage changes before and after the start of the experiment to a control region. According to my results, the reduction in the payroll-taxes did not lead to any clear cut aggregate effects in the target region.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French, 2007.
"Product Market Evidence on the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 167-200.
- Eric French & Dan Aaronson, 2004. "Product Market Evidence on the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 549, Econometric Society.
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French, 2003. "Product market evidence on the employment effects of the minimum wage," Working Paper Series WP-03-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Frode Johansen & Tor Jacob Klette, 1997.
"Wage and Employment Effects of Payroll Taxes and Investment Subsidies,"
194, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Johansen, F. & Klette, T.J., 1998. "Wage and Employment Effects of Payroll Taxes and Investment Subsidies," Memorandum 27/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Roope Uusitalo, 2009. "Employment and wage effects of a payroll-tax cut—evidence from a regional experiment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 16(6), pages 753-772, December.
- Draca, Mirko & Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 2006.
"Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2008. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," NBER Working Papers 13996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Draca, Mirko & Machin, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," IZA Discussion Papers 1913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Minimum wages and firm profitability," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 774, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," CEP Discussion Papers dp0715, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Generalized least squares inference in panel and multilevel models with serial correlation and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 670-694, October.
- Goerke, L., 1996.
"Taxes on payroll, revenues and profits in three models of collective bargaining,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9603, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1996. "Taxes on Payroll, Revenues and Profits in Three Models of Collective Bargaining," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(5), pages 549-65, November.
- Daniel Aaronson, 2001. "Price Pass-Through And The Minimum Wage," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 158-169, February.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Asymptotic properties of a robust variance matrix estimator for panel data when T is large," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 597-620, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p898. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.