The Finnish payroll tax cut experiment revisited, or where did the money go?
In this paper I evaluate the effects of a regional experiment that reduced payroll-taxes by 3â€“6 percentage points of the firmâ€™s wage sum in Northern and Eastern Finland. I estimate the effect of the payroll-tax reduction on firmsâ€™ employment, wage sum and profits, and on workers hourly pay and monthly hours worked, by comparing employment and wage changes before and after the start of the experiment to a control region. According to my results, the reduction in the payroll-taxes did not lead to any clear cut aggregate effects in the target region.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1996.
"Taxes on Payroll, Revenues and Profits in Three Models of Collective Bargaining,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(5), pages 549-565, November.
- Goerke, L., 1996. "Taxes on payroll, revenues and profits in three models of collective bargaining," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9603, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French, 2007. "Product Market Evidence on the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 167-200.
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French, 2003. "Product market evidence on the employment effects of the minimum wage," Working Paper Series WP-03-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eric French & Dan Aaronson, 2004. "Product Market Evidence on the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 549, Econometric Society.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Minimum wages and firm profitability," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 774, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2008. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," NBER Working Papers 13996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mirko Draca & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," CEP Discussion Papers dp0715, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Draca, Mirko & Machin, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," IZA Discussion Papers 1913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Draca, Mirko & Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Minimum Wages and Firm Profitability," CEPR Discussion Papers 5456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennmarker, Helge & Mellander, Erik & Öckert, Björn, 2009. "Do regional payroll tax reductions boost employment?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 480-489, October.
- Bennmarker, Helge & Mellander, Erik & Öckert, Björn, 2008. "Do regional payroll tax reductions boost employment?," Working Paper Series 2008:19, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Frode Johansen & Tor Jacob Klette, 1997. "Wage and Employment Effects of Payroll Taxes and Investment Subsidies," Discussion Papers 194, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Johansen, F. & Klette, T.J., 1998. "Wage and Employment Effects of Payroll Taxes and Investment Subsidies," Memorandum 27/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Asymptotic properties of a robust variance matrix estimator for panel data when T is large," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 597-620, December.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Generalized least squares inference in panel and multilevel models with serial correlation and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 670-694, October.
- Daniel Aaronson, 2001. "Price Pass-Through And The Minimum Wage," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 158-169, February.
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Roope Uusitalo, 2009. "Employment and wage effects of a payroll-tax cut—evidence from a regional experiment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 16(6), pages 753-772, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p898. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.