Reallocation Gains in a Specific Factors Model with Firm Heterogeneity
We study firm heterogeneity in a specific factors model to address the effect of factor mobility on reallocation gains from trade. A model is proposed with Melitz-type firm heterogeneity with two sectors, two countries and two fixed factors and one factor mobile across sectors. Equilibrium in each sector can be concisely represented by a demand and supply equation and an FE and ZCP condition. Varying the substitution elasticity between the fixed and mobile factor, we show that the welfare gains from trade liberalization are larger in countries with lower substitution elasticity. Furthermore, it is shown that the immobile production factor in the comparative disadvantage sector can still gain from trade liberalization due to the reallocation effect.
|Length:||23 pages including 7 Tables|
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erhan Artu� & Shubham Chaudhuri & John McLaren, 2010.
"Trade Shocks and Labor Adjustment: A Structural Empirical Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 1008-45, June.
- Erhan Artuc & Shubham Chaudhuri & John McLaren, 2007. "Trade Shocks and Labor Adjustment: A Structural Empirical Approach," NBER Working Papers 13465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Costas Arkolakis & Svetlana Demidova & Peter J. Klenow & Andres Rodriguez-Clare, 2008.
"Endogenous Variety and the Gains from Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 444-50, May.
- Bombardini, Matilde, 2008. "Firm heterogeneity and lobby participation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 329-348, July.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Short-Run Capital Specificity and the Pure Theory of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 488-510, September.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2009.
"Trade and Welfare: Does Industrial Organization Matter?,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
09/119, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Hillberry, Russell H. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2010. "Trade and welfare: Does industrial organization matter?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 85-87, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:wpaper:77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.