Effects of the multifibre arrangement on developing countries'trade : an empirical investigation
This paper addresses two issues: (i) the extent of the restrictiveness/effectiveness of the Multifibre Arrangement (MFA) with respect to the developing country suppliers of textile products during the 1980s, and (ii) the extent to which these restrictions yield trade gains for the less established developing suppliers. After analyzing data, the author's made the following conclusions. Rather than ease up, the MFA became more restrictive. Proportionately more shipments were subject to quotas and volume generally grew less where quotas were binding. The unit value of shipments subject to binding quotas also increased substantially more than the unit value of unconstrained items. Developing countries that were new exporters of textile products also hoped to capture a larger share of the textile market as a result of quotas for other developing countries. However, the needy countries have benefited little from the MFA, and countries whose exports grow soon find themselves on the restricted list. Finally, domestic producers in the United States have benefited most from the MFA.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trela, I. & Whalley, J., 1988.
"Do Developing Countries Lose From The Mfa?,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
8804c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Trela, I. & Whalley, J., 1989.
"Unravelling The Threads Of The Mfa,"
448, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Trela, I. & Whalley, J., 1989. "Unravelling The Threads Of The Mfa," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 8904c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Hamilton, Carl, 1986. "An Assessment of Voluntary Restraints on Hong Kong Exports to Europe and the USA," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(211), pages 339-50, August.
- Goto, Junichi, 1988. "Effects of the multifibre arrangement on developing countries : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 102, The World Bank.
- Tarr, David G, 1987. "Effects of Restraining Steel Exports from the Republic of Korea and Other Countries to the United States and the European Economic Community," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(3), pages 397-418, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.