Rent Sharing in the Multi-fibre Arrangement: Theory and Evidence from U.S. Apparel Imports from Hong Kong
Available estimates of tariff equivalents and welfare costs of MFA quotas are based on the premise of perfect competition in both product and license markets, and the assumption that exporting countries receive all the scarcity rent. We test if U.S. apparel imports from Hong-Kong conform with this competitive model by looking at whether the license-price-inclusive Hong Kong price, adjusted for tariffs and transport costs, is equal to the U.S. price. We deal with the homogeneous product case and correct for both aggregation and quality differences. We find that U.S. importers seem to retain a substantial portion of the quota rents. Copyright 1994 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 2 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0965-7576|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kala Krishna, 1985. "Tariffs vs. Quotas with Endogenous Quality," NBER Working Papers 1535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kala Krishna & Kathleen Hogan & Phillip Swagel, 1989. "The Non-Optimality of Optimal Trade Policy: The U.S. Automobile Indust ry Revisited, 1979-1985," NBER Working Papers 3118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trela, I. & Whalley, J., 1988.
"Do Developing Countries Lose From The Mfa?,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
8804c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Irene Trela & John Whalley, 1988. "Do Developing Countries Lose From the MFA?," NBER Working Papers 2618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, Carl, 1986. "An Assessment of Voluntary Restraints on Hong Kong Exports to Europe and the USA," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(211), pages 339-350, August.
- Kala Krishna, 1988. "The Case of the Vanishing Revenues: Auction Quotas With Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 2723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1986. "Market Access and International Competition: A Simulation Study of 16K Random Access Memories," NBER Working Papers 1936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1979. "The Quality of Imports and the Differential Welfare Effects of Tariffs, Quotas, and Quality Controls as Protective Devices," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 439-449, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)