Structural adjustment, ownership transformation, and size in Polish industry
The authors argue that significant adjustment took place in Polish industry after Poland's 1990 reforms. They analyze data on two- and three-digit manufacturing industries, disaggregated by firm ownership and size. By applying a statistical model to labor productivity growth, they try to disentangle structural determinants of the recovery from cyclical determinants. They contend that structural determinants outweigh cyclical ones. They find that the productive response of state enterprises was markedly different from that of private firms--private firms outperformed state enterprises (just as anecdotal evidence suggested). Size also matters, at least among private firms. Generally, there seem to be increasing returns to scale for private firms, except for very large enterprises (many of which were previously state-owned and may need further restructuring). The fact that size does not appear to matter among public enterprises suggests that several of them have not yet adopted optimal technologies and production processes.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Borensztein & Dimitri G. Demekas & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1993. "An Empirical Analysis of the Output Declines in Three Eastern European Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766, December.
- Honda, Yuzo, 1988. "A size correction to the Lagrange multiplier test for heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 375-386, July.
- Berg Andrew, 1994. "Does Macroeconomic Reform Cause Structural Adjustment? Lessons from Poland," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 376-409, June.
- Honda, Yuzo & Ohtani, Kazuhiro, 1986. "Modified Wald Tests in Tests of Equality between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regressions under Heteroscedasticity," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 54(2), pages 208-18, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:1624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.