Financial reporting quality in privaty equity backed companies: the impact of ownership concentration
We argue and empirically show on a sample of 270 unquoted, private equity backed companies that the shareholder structure of private companies influences the quality of their accounting information. We show that companies in which private equity (PE) investors have a higher equity stake produce accounting information that is of lower quality than companies in which PE investors have a lower equity stake, controlling for company size and age. We argue that this is evidence that a large equity stake is a substitute for high earnings quality
|Date of creation:||15 Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reep 1, 9000 Gent|
Phone: +32 9 210 98 99
Fax: +32 9 210 97 00
Web page: http://www.vlerick.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ball, Ray & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2005. "Earnings quality in UK private firms: comparative loss recognition timeliness," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 83-128, February.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Research Papers 1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- James A. Brander & Raphael Amit & Werner Antweiler, 2002. "Venture-Capital Syndication: Improved Venture Selection vs. The Value-Added Hypothesis," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 423-452, 09.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, 2004.
"Active Financial Intermediation: Evidence on the Role of Organizational Specialization and Human Capital,"
266, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Da Rin, Marco & Hellmann, Thomas F, 2004. "Active Financial Intermediation: Evidence on the Role of Organizational Specialization and Human Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 4794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sapienza, Harry J. & Manigart, Sophie & Vermeir, Wim, 1996. "Venture capitalist governance and value added in four countries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 439-469, November.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Falconer Mitchell & Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry, 1994. "Post Investment Demand for Accounting Information by Venture Capitalists," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9424, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Baeyens,K. & Manigart,S., 2006.
"Follow-on financing of venture capital backed companies: the choice between debt, equity, existing and new investors,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2006-05, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- K. Baeyens & S. Manigart, 2006. "Follow-on financing of venture capital backed companies: The choice between debt, equity, existing and new investors," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/362, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Christof Beuselinck & Sophie Manigart & Tom Van Cauwenberge, 2007. "Private Equity Investors, Corporate Governance and Professionalization," Chapters, in: Entrepreneurship and the Financial Community, chapter 3 Edward Elgar.
- Dechow, Patricia M., 1994. "Accounting earnings and cash flows as measures of firm performance : The role of accounting accruals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Philippe Aghion & Patrick Bolton, 1992. "An Incomplete Contracts Approach to Financial Contracting," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 473-494.
- Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2000. "Do firms mislead investors by overstating earnings before seasoned equity offerings?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 339-371, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vlg:vlgwps:2005-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.