Financial Reporting Quality in Private Equity Backed Companies: The Impact of Ownership Concentration
We argue and empirically show on a sample of 270 unquoted, private equity backed companies that the shareholder structure of private companies influences the quality of their accounting information. We show that companies in which private equity (PE) investors have a higher equity stake produce accounting information that is of lower quality than companies in which PE investors have a lower equity stake, controlling for company size and age. We argue that this is evidence that a large equity stake is a substitute for high earnings quality.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Research Papers 1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ball, Ray & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2005. "Earnings quality in UK private firms: comparative loss recognition timeliness," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 83-128, February.
- Christof Beuselinck & Sophie Manigart & Tom Van Cauwenberge, 2007. "Private Equity Investors, Corporate Governance and Professionalization," Chapters, in: Entrepreneurship and the Financial Community, chapter 3 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Da Rin, Marco & Hellmann, Thomas F, 2004.
"Active Financial Intermediation: Evidence on the Role of Organizational Specialization and Human Capital,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, 2004. "Active Financial Intermediation: Evidence on the Role of Organizational Specialization and Human Capital," Working Papers 266, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Brander & Raphael Amit & Werner Antweiler, 2002. "Venture-Capital Syndication: Improved Venture Selection vs. The Value-Added Hypothesis," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 423-452, 09.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Sapienza, Harry J. & Manigart, Sophie & Vermeir, Wim, 1996. "Venture capitalist governance and value added in four countries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 439-469, November.
- Dechow, Patricia M., 1994. "Accounting earnings and cash flows as measures of firm performance : The role of accounting accruals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-42, July.
- K. Baeyens & S. Manigart, 2006.
"Follow-on financing of venture capital backed companies: The choice between debt, equity, existing and new investors,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
06/362, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baeyens,K. & Manigart,S., 2006. "Follow-on financing of venture capital backed companies: the choice between debt, equity, existing and new investors," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-05, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Philippe Aghion & Patrick Bolton, 1992. "An Incomplete Contracts Approach to Financial Contracting," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 473-494.
- Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2000. "Do firms mislead investors by overstating earnings before seasoned equity offerings?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 339-371, June.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Falconer Mitchell & Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry, 1994. "Post Investment Demand for Accounting Information by Venture Capitalists," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9424, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:05/343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.