Oral Health and the Dental Care Workforce in Southwest Virginia
This study examines the health impact of a proposed dental school in Southwest Virginia. In setting the stage for an evaluation of the dental school impacts, this study first assesses the economic, social, and health context for the Southwest Virginia region. It also presents a summary of research regarding the causes of differences in oral health, demand and supply for dental care services, the uneven geographical distribution of the health care workforce, and the regional labor market consequences of expanding area training and educational opportunities. The study provides a descriptive analysis of national, state, and regional oral health needs as well as pertinent national, state, and regional dental care resources and analyzes gaps in the existing and future provision of regional dental services. It assesses how a new dental school could affect the availability of dentists, utilization levels of dental services, and quality of care. Lastly, it discusses alternative policies and programs, including variants of the dental school model, for improving access to dental care and oral health outcomes in the Southwest Virginia region.
|Date of creation:||16 Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 400206 Charlottesville VA 22904|
Web page: http://www.coopercenter.org/econ
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherry Glied & Matthew Neidell, 2010. "The Economic Value of Teeth," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(2).
- Tanya Wanchek, 2010. "Dental Hygiene Regulation and Access to Oral Healthcare: Assessing the Variation across the US States," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 706-725, December.
- Dale Ballou & Michael Podgursky, 1998. "Teacher recruitment and retention in public and private schools," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 393-417.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Kleiner, Morris M & Kudrle, Robert T, 2000. "Does Regulation Affect Economic Outcomes? The Case of Dentistry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 547-582, October.
- Bound, John & Groen, Jeffrey & Kezdi, G.Gabor & Turner, Sarah, 2004. "Trade in university training: cross-state variation in the production and stock of college-educated labor," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 143-173.
- Joseph P. Newhouse & Albert P. Williams & Bruce W. Bennett & William B. Schwartz, 1982. "Does the Geographical Distribution of Physicians Reflect Market Failure?," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 493-505, Autumn.
- Katherine Ho & Matthew Neidell, 2009. "Equilibrium effects of public goods: The impact of community water fluoridation on dentists," NBER Working Papers 15056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:11:y:1976:i:4:p:546-560 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:7:y:1972:i:2:p:250-261 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reisine, Susan & Miller, Julia, 1985. "A longitudinal study of work loss related to dental diseases," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 21(12), pages 1309-1314, January.
- Mueller, Curt D. & Monheit, Alan C., 1988. "Insurance coverage and the demand for dental care : Results for non-aged white adults," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 59-72, March.
- Morris M. Kleiner, 2006. "Licensing Occupations: Ensuring Quality or Restricting Competition?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number lo, 06.
- Sintonen, Harri & Linnosmaa, Ismo, 2000. "Economics of dental services," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1251-1296 Elsevier.
- Shepard, Lawrence, 1978. "Licensing Restrictions and the Cost of Dental Care," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 187-201, April.
- DeVany, Arthur S, et al, 1982. "The Impact of Input Regulation: The Case of the U.S. Dental Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(2), pages 367-381, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vac:report:rpt11-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William M. Shobe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.