Estimating regional input coefficients and multipliers: The Use of the FLQ is not a Gamble
This paper re-examines the Finnish evidence presented by Lehtonen and Tykkyläinen on the use of location quotients (LQs) in estimating regional input coefficients and multipliers. They argue that the choice of an LQ-based method is a gamble and that there is no single method that can be recommended for general use. It is contended here that this evidence is erroneous and that the FLQ yields results far superior to those from competing formulae, so it should provide a satisfactory way of generating an initial set of input coefficients. The choice of a value for the parameter & is also examined.
|Date of creation:||02 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0117 328 3610|
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kauppila, Jari, 1999. "Estimating Interregional Trade Flows in Finland 1996," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa066, European Regional Science Association.
- Kowalewski, Julia, 2012. "Regionalization of national input-output tables: Empirical evidence on the use of the FLQ formula," HWWI Research Papers 126, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Andrea Bonfiglio & Francesco Chelli, 2008. "Assessing the Behaviour of Non-Survey Methods for Constructing Regional Input-Output Tables through a Monte Carlo Simulation," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 243-258.
- Anthony T. Flegg & Timo Tohmo, 2013. "A Comment on Tobias Kronenbergâ€™s â€œConstruction of Regional Input-Output Tables Using Nonsurvey Methods: The Role of Cross-Haulingâ€," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 36(2), pages 235-257, April.
- Kronenberg, Tobias, 2011. "Regional input-output models and the treatment of imports in the European System of Accounts," MPRA Paper 30797, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tobias Kronenberg, 2009. "Construction of Regional Input-Output Tables Using Nonsurvey Methods," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 32(1), pages 40-64, January.
- Anthony T. Flegg & Leonardo J. Mastronardi & Carlos A. Romero, 2014. "Empirical evidence on the use of the FLQ formula for regionalizing national input-output tables: The case of the Province of C¨®rdoba, Argentina," Working Papers 20141406, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Andrea Bonfiglio, 2009. "On The Parameterization Of Techniques For Representing Regional Economic Structures," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 115-127.
- A. T. Flegg & C. D. Webber, 1997. "On the Appropriate Use of Location Quotients in Generating Regional Input-Output Tables: Reply," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 795-805.
- Anthony T. Flegg & Timo Tohmo, 2013. "Regional Input--Output Tables and the FLQ Formula: A Case Study of Finland," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(5), pages 703-721, May.
- Timo Tohmo, 2004. "New Developments in the Use of Location Quotients to Estimate Regional Input-Output Coefficients and Multipliers," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 43-54.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:20131302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.