CAPM and Option Pricing with Elliptical Disbributions
In this paper, we offer an alternative proof of the Capital Asset Pricing Model when the returns follow a multivariate elliptical distribution. Empirical studies continue to demonstrate the inappropriateness of the normality assumption in modelling asset returns. The class of elliptical distributions,which includes the more familiar Normal distribution, provides flexibility in modelling the thickness of tails associated with the possibility that asset returns take extreme values with non-negligible probabilities. Within this framework, we prove a new version of Stein's lemma for elliptical distribution and use this result to derive the CAPM when returns are elliptical. We also derive a closed form solution of call option prices when the underlying is elliptically distributed. We use the probability distortion function approach based on the dual utility theory of choice under uncertainty.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahmoud Hamada & Michael Sherris, 2003. "Contingent claim pricing using probability distortion operators: methods from insurance risk pricing and their relationship to financial theory," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 19-47.
- Landsman, Zinoviy, 2002. "Credibility theory: a new view from the theory of second order optimal statistics," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 351-362, June.
- N. H. Bingham & Rudiger Kiesel, 2002. "Semi-parametric modelling in finance: theoretical foundations," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(4), pages 241-250.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Cambanis, Stamatis & Huang, Steel & Simons, Gordon, 1981. "On the theory of elliptically contoured distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 368-385, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.