Some preliminary proposals for re-regulating financial systems
Unlike the official view which ascribes the current crisis to some anomalies of the securitisation processes, and consistently proposes minor adjustments to the existing regulatory apparatus, our opinion is that we are facing the last episode of a string of crises originated by the structural evolution of the financial systems in the last decades. Adopting a systemic approach, we summarise this evolution in six critical points and show the necessity of a radical overhaul of the regulatory framework. A preliminary scheme of consistent regulatory measures is then proposed, aiming at an acceptable degree of systemic stability while reasserting the fundamental function of the financial sector of promoting private productive investments and innovation
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Merton, 1995.
"Financial Innovation and the Management and Regulation of Financial Institutions,"
NBER Working Papers
5096, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merton, Robert C., 1995. "Financial innovation and the management and regulation of financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 461-481, June.
- Claudio Borio, 2007.
"Change and Constancy in the Financial System: Implications for Financial Distress and Policy,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Christopher Kent & Jeremy Lawson (ed.), The Structure and Resilience of the Financial System
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Claudio E. V. Borio, 2007. "Change and constancy in the financial system: implications for financial distress and policy," BIS Working Papers 237, Bank for International Settlements.
- Andrew Cornford & Jan Kregel, 1998.
"Globalization, Capital Flows, and International Regulation,"
- Andrew Cornford & Jan A. Kregel, 1996. "Globalization, Capital Flows, and International Regulation," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_161, Levy Economics Institute.
- Jan Kregel, 2009. "Managing the Impact of Volatility in International Capital Markets in an Uncertain World," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_558, Levy Economics Institute.
- Jan Kregel, 2008. "Financial Flows and International Imbalances--The Role of Catching-up by Late Industrializing Developing Countries," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_528, Levy Economics Institute.
- Daníelsson, Jón, 2008. "Blame the models," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 321-328, December.
- Jan KREGEL, 2004. "External Financing For Development And International Financial Instability," G-24 Discussion Papers 32, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.