Financial innovation and the management and regulation of financial institutions
New security designs, improvements in computer telecommunications technology and advances in the theory of finance have led to revolutionary changes in the structure of financial markets and institutions. This paper provides a functional perspective on the dynamics of institutional change and uses a series of examples to illustrate the breadth and depth of institutional change that is likely to occur. These examples emphasize the role of hedging versus equity capital in managing risk, the need for risk accounting and changes in methods for implementing both regulatory and stabilization public policy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1982.
"Corporate Financial Structure and Managerial Incentives,"
in: The Economics of Information and Uncertainty, pages 107-140
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, . "Corporate Financial Structure and Managerial Incentives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 21-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1989.
"Money, Credit, and Business Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael R. Darby, 1994. "Over-the-Counter Derivatives and Systemic Risk to the Global Financial System," NBER Working Papers 4801, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Merton & André Perold, 1993. "Theory Of Risk Capital In Financial Firms," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(3), pages 16-32.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- James L. Pierce, 1993. "The functional approach to deposit insurance and regulation," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 37, pages 111-130.
- Robert C. Merton, 1992. "Financial Innovation And Economic Performance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 4(4), pages 12-22.
- Merton, Robert C. & Bodie, Zvi, 1993. "Deposit insurance reform: a functional approach," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-34, June.
- John D. Finnerty, 1992. "An Overview Of Corporate Securities Innovation," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 4(4), pages 23-39.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Charles S. Sanford, Jr., 1993. "Financial markets in 2020," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 227-243.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:19:y:1995:i:3-4:p:461-481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.