La structure du capital et la profitabilité : Une étude empirique sur données de panel françaises
The objective of this article is to analyze the impact of capital structure on profitability. This impact can be explained by three essential theories: signaling theory, tax theory and the agency costs theory. From a sample of 9136 firms distributed on seven sectors taken over the period 1999-2006 by means of a study on dynamic panel by using the generalized method of moments (GMM), we show that there exists heterogeneity of behavior between sectors regarding the impact of capital structure on profitability. The empirical analysis allowed us to distinguish three different groups of sectors: for the first group (industry, energy and service), the capital structure has no impact on profitability. The second group, containing only the transport sector, is the group where the debt affects negatively the profitability in a linear way. The last group (agro-food, construction and trade) is characterized by the presence of a negative effect in a linear and nonlinear way.
|Date of creation:||12 Nov 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00751211|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-275, May.
- Paul-Valentin Ngobo & Eric Stéphany, 2001. "Les différences de performance financière entre les entreprises: résultats du marché français," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 4(1), pages 89-121, March.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Christopher F. Baum & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2006.
"The Effects of Short-Term Liabilities on Profitability: The Case of Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
635, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christopher F. Baum & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007. "The Effects of Short-Term Liabilities on Profitability: The Case of Germany," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 61, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Gleason, Kimberly C. & Mathur, Lynette Knowles & Mathur, Ike, 2000. "The Interrelationship between Culture, Capital Structure, and Performance: Evidence from European Retailers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 185-191, November.
- Michael R. King & Eric Santor, 2007.
"Family Values: Ownership Structure, Performance and Capital Structure of Canadian Firms,"
Staff Working Papers
07-40, Bank of Canada.
- King, Michael R. & Santor, Eric, 2008. "Family values: Ownership structure, performance and capital structure of Canadian firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2423-2432, November.
- Christopher F. Baum & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2006. "The Effects of Short-Term Liabilities on Profitability: A Comparison of German and US Firms," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 636, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 14 Apr 2007.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000.
"Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999. "Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 353-384, September.
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997. "Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," Papers 97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Majumdar, Sumit K & Chhibber, Pradeep, 1999. "Capital Structure and Performance: Evidence from a Transition Economy on an Aspect of Corporate Governance," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 98(3-4), pages 287-305, March.
- Francesco Nucci & Alberto F. Pozzolo & Fabiano Schivardi, 2005. "Is Firm's Productivity Related to its Financial Structure? Evidence from Microeconomic Data," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 95(1), pages 269-290, January-F.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Oliver D. Hart, 1982.
"Corporate Financial Structure and Managerial Incentives,"
in: The Economics of Information and Uncertainty, pages 107-140
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, "undated". "Corporate Financial Structure and Managerial Incentives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 21-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Laurent Weill, 2008.
"Leverage and Corporate Performance: Does Institutional Environment Matter?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 251-265, March.
- Laurent Weill, 2008. "Leverage and corporate performance: does institutional environment matter?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14343, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Deloof, 2003. "Does Working Capital Management Affect Profitability of Belgian Firms?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3-4), pages 573-588.
- Paulo J. Maçãs Nunes & Zélia M. Serrasqueiro & Tiago N. Sequeira, 2007. "Profitability in Portuguese service industries: a panel data approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 693-707, May.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Allen N. Berger & Emilia Bonaccorsi di Patti, 2002.
"Capital structure and firm performance: a new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2002-54, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Bonaccorsi di Patti, Emilia, 2006. "Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1065-1102, April.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-387, May.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Dimitris Margaritis & Maria Psillaki, 2007. "Capital Structure and Firm Efficiency," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1447-1469.
- Corrado DI GUILMI, 2008. "Financial Determinants of Firms Profitability: A Hazard Function Investigation," Working Papers 315, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- repec:eme:jrfpps:v:6:y:2005:i:5:p:438-445 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anthony Kyereboah-Coleman, 2007. "The impact of capital structure on the performance of microfinance institutions," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 56-71, January.
- Margaritis, Dimitris & Psillaki, Maria, 2010. "Capital structure, equity ownership and firm performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 621-632, March.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1990. " Capital Structure and the Informational Role of Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 321-349, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00751211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.