Regional industrialisation without national growth: The Catalan industrialization and the growth of Spanish economy (1830-1861)
This paper has two main objectives. First, it provides a stylised description of the Catalan industrial path of the period 1830-1861. Second, it reviews the evolution of the Catalan industry in the Spanish context and, thus, can serve to describe the relative importance of the Catalan industrial experience. Consequently, it is mainly devoted to computing and analysing the growth rates of Catalan industries during the early phase of industrialisation. The results show that Catalonia experienced a true process of industrialisation during the period 1830 to 1861, but that its contribution in rapid increase in Spanish GDP was relatively small.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. F. R. Crafts & C. K. Harley, 1992. "Output growth and the British industrial revolution: a restatement of the Crafts-Harley view," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 45(4), pages 703-730, November.
- Huberman,Michael, 2010.
"Escape from the Market,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521142663, August.
- Huberman,Michael, 1996. "Escape from the Market," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521561518, September.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- repec:fth:harver:1487 is not listed on IDEAS
- de la Escosura, Leandro Prados, 1984. "El comercio hispano-britanico en los siglos XVIII y XIX. I. Reconstruccion," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 113-162, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:716. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.