Altruism, uncertain lifetime and the distribution of wealth
This paper studies the dynamics of the distribution of wealth in a general equilibrium framework. It considers an overlapping generations model with production and altruistic preferences in which individuals face an uncertain lifetime and annuity markets do not exist. This paper focuses on the role that accidental bequests, voluntary bequests, and non--negativity constraints on bequests play in the dynamics of the distribution of wealth. It is proved that the equilibrium interest rate is lower than the one that satisfies the modified golden rule. In this economy, a social security system not only plays an insurance role, but also prevents capital overaccumulation. In fact, this paper shows that a pay--as--you--go social security system decentralizes the social planner solution as a competitive equilibrium.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Serra & Charles Revelle, 1992. "The PQ-Median problem: Location and districting of hierarchical facilities. Part I," Economics Working Papers 12, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Antoni Bosch-Domenech & Shyam Sunder, 2000.
"Tracking the Invisible Hand: Convergence of Double Auctions to Competitive Equilibrium,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 16(3), pages 257-284, December.
- Bosch, A. & Sunder, S., 1994. "Tracking the Invisible Hand: Convergence of Double Auctions to Competitive Equilibrium," GSIA Working Papers 1994-11, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Antoni Bosch-Domènech & Shyam Sunder, 1996. "Tracking the invisible hand: Convergence of double auctions to competitive equilibrium," Economics Working Papers 91, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Shyam NMI Sunder & Antoni Bosch-Domènech, 2001. "Tracking the Invisible Hand: Convergence of Double Auctions to Competitive Equilibrium," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm204, Yale School of Management.
- Thierry Foucault, 1994. "Price formation and order placement strategies in a dynamic order driven market," Economics Working Papers 99, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X, 1996.
"A Positive Theory of Social Security,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 2a77-304, June.
- Ramon Marimon & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 1994. "'Actual' versus 'virtual' employment in Europe: Why is there less employment in Spain?," Economics Working Papers 100, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.