An economic model of contagion in interbank lending markets
This paper considers the stability of a financial system in which heterogenous banks interact through a lending market. We analyse a discrete time model in which households and banks are located on a circular city. Households present banks with risky investment opportunities, which banks fund through deposits and interbank borrowing. In the event of bankruptcy, a bank defaults on its interbank loans potentially resulting in contagion and losses for other banks. Through simulation we examine the vulnerability of the financial system to systemic events, demonstrating the non-linear relationship between market concentration, shock severity and bankruptcies. The role and effect of regulatory actions such as reserve requirements, minimum bank capitalisation and constraints on the size of borrowing relationships, are considered in limiting these effects.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK|
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincenzo Quadrini & Enrique G. Mendoza, 2010.
"Financial Globalization, Financial Crises and Contagion,"
2010 Meeting Papers
841, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Quadrini, Vincenzo, 2010. "Financial globalization, financial crises and contagion," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Vincenzo Quadrini, 2009. "Financial Globalization, Financial Crises and Contagion," NBER Working Papers 15432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gai, Prasanna & Kapadia, Sujit, 2010. "Contagion in financial networks," Bank of England working papers 383, Bank of England.
- Gary Gorton, 1986.
"Banking panics and business cycles,"
86-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Sangkyun Park, 1991. "Bank failure contagion in historical perspective," Research Paper 9103, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1999.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2092, David K. Levine.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008.
"A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005. "A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market," Working Papers 05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Sheri Markose & Simone Giansante & Mateusz Gatkowski & Ali Rais Shaghaghi, 2010.
"Too Interconnected To Fail: Financial Contagion and Systemic Risk In Network Model of CDS and Other Credit Enhancement Obligations of US Banks,"
- Markose, Sheri M & Giansante, Simone & Gatkowski, Mateusz & Shaghaghi, Ali Rais, 2010. "Too Interconnected To Fail: Financial Contagion and Systemic Risk in Network Model of CDS and Other Credit Enhancement Obligations of US Banks," Economics Discussion Papers 3716, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Antoni Bosch-Domènech & Shyam Sunder, 1996.
"Tracking the invisible hand: Convergence of double auctions to competitive equilibrium,"
Economics Working Papers
91, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Antoni Bosch-Domenech & Shyam Sunder, 2000. "Tracking the Invisible Hand: Convergence of Double Auctions to Competitive Equilibrium," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 16(3), pages 257-284, December.
- Shyam NMI Sunder & Antoni Bosch-Domènech, 2001. "Tracking the Invisible Hand: Convergence of Double Auctions to Competitive Equilibrium," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm204, Yale School of Management.
- Bosch, A. & Sunder, S., 1994. "Tracking the Invisible Hand: Convergence of Double Auctions to Competitive Equilibrium," GSIA Working Papers 1994-11, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Park, Sangkyun, 1991. "Bank failure contagion in historical perspective," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 271-286, October.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Gale, Douglas, 2009.
"Interbank market liquidity and central bank intervention,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 639-652, July.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Douglas Gale, 2009. "Interbank Market Liquidity and Central Bank Intervention," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/09, European University Institute.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2000.
"Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 611-38, August.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Systemic risk, interbank relations, and liquidity provision by the central bank," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 611-640.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean Charles Rochet, 1998. "Systemic risk, interbank relations and liquidity provision by the Central Bank," Economics Working Papers 440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- X. Freixas & B. Parigi & J-C. Rochet, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by theCentral Bank," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 47, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Roger Lagunoff & Stacey L. Schreft, 1998.
"A model of financial fragility,"
Research Working Paper
98-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006.
"Risk Assessment for Banking Systems,"
INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1301-1314, September.
- Ana Babus, 2006.
"The Formation of Financial Networks,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-093/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sandro Brusco & Fabio Castiglionesi, 2007.
"Liquidity Coinsurance, Moral Hazard, and Financial Contagion,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(5), pages 2275-2302, October.
- Sandro Brusco & Fabio Castiglionesi, 2005. "Liquidity Coinsurance, Moral Hazard and Financial Contagion," Department of Economics Working Papers 05-12, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Iori, Giulia & Jafarey, Saqib & Padilla, Francisco G., 2006. "Systemic risk on the interbank market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 525-542, December.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2008.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Bank of England working papers
346, Bank of England.
- Christian Upper & Andreas Worms, 2001.
"Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: is there a danger of contagion?,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 211-229
Bank for International Settlements.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2004. "Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: Is there a danger of contagion?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 827-849, August.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2002. "Estimating Bilateral Exposures in the German Interbank Market: Is there a Danger of Contagion?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Didier Cossin & Henry Schellhorn, 2007. "Credit Risk in a Network Economy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(10), pages 1604-1617, October.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Casper Christophersen, 2010. "Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance," Working Paper 2010/11, Norges Bank.
- Jeannette Müller, 2006. "Interbank Credit Lines as a Channel of Contagion," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 37-60, February.
- Angelini, P. & Maresca, G. & Russo, D., 1996. "Systemic risk in the netting system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 853-868, June.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- Arifovic, Jasmina, 1996. "The Behavior of the Exchange Rate in the Genetic Algorithm and Experimental Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 510-41, June.
- Stefan Weber & Kay Giesecke, 2003. "Credit Contagion and Aggregate Losses," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 246, Society for Computational Economics.
- Larry Eisenberg & Thomas H. Noe, 2001. "Systemic Risk in Financial Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 236-249, February.
- Martínez-Jaramillo, Serafín & Pérez, Omar Pérez & Embriz, Fernando Avila & Dey, Fabrizio López Gallo, 2010. "Systemic risk, financial contagion and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2358-2374, November.
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce Greenwald & Alberto Russo & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2010.
"Business fluctuations in a credit-network economy,"
- Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Russo, Alberto & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2006. "Business fluctuations in a credit-network economy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 370(1), pages 68-74.
- Giesecke, Kay & Weber, Stefan, 2006. "Credit contagion and aggregate losses," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 741-767, May.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena, 2005.
"Credit risk transfer and contagion,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/25, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Becher, Christopher & Millard, Stephen & SoramÃÂÃÂ¤ki, Kimmo, 2008. "The network topology of CHAPS Sterling," Bank of England working papers 355, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lec:leecon:11/06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.