A Stock Targeting International Carbon-Tax Rule with Uncertainty and Diminishing Compliance
This paper develops a rule for setting periodically and internationally a carbon-dioxide atmospheric stock limiting tax in a world inhabited by expected utility maximizing stakeholders facing diminishing mean and increasing variance of their output level due to climate change. The stakeholders are classified as poor, hence unable and/or unwilling to pay, countries and rich countries. Due to ideological and cultural differences, the rich countries' willingness to pay the tax is not identical. Consequently, the number of complying rich countries diminishes with the tax level.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2003.
"Regulating stock externalities under uncertainty,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 416-432, March.
- Amnon Levy, 2011.
"Abstinence with Reputation Loss, Understating Expectations and Guiltand the Effectiveness of Emission Tax,"
Economics Working Papers
wp11-12, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Amnon Levy, 2011. "Abstinence with Reputation Loss, Understating Expectations and Guiltand the Effectiveness of Emission Tax," Economics Working Papers wp11-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Newell, Richard, 2004.
"Environmental and Technology Policies for Climate Mitigation,"
dp-04-05, Resources For the Future.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Newell, Richard G., 2008. "Environmental and technology policies for climate mitigation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 142-162, March.
- Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry, 2002.
"Taxes versus quotas for a stock pollutant,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 367-384, November.
- Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry, 2001. "Taxes versus Quotas for a Stock Pollutant," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt5fx9p7kf, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Pizer, William A., 2002. "Combining price and quantity controls to mitigate global climate change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 409-434, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp11-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.