The Impact of Large Firms in Promoting Economic Growth, Exports and Regional Integration: A Chandlerian Perspective with Emphasis on East Asia
Chandler’s work is well known. He has amply demonstrated that large firms played a huge role in the economic take-off and development of countries such as Germany and especially the USA. In this paper his thesis is extended to the whole world, by considering various countries, economically integrated regions, their exports and economic achievement. The largest firms in the world are examined in this context. Chandler’s thesis is thus confirmed with this analysis and some quantitative evidence is provided in that respect. In particular, Korea’s position is quite strong in the region of East Asia following Japan’s leadership. This paper also demonstrates that SMEs role in economic development without the presence of large firms would be rather limited. Last but not least, integration seems to take place even without the existence of formal agreements due to the presence of large firms.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst Verwaal & Bas Donkers, 2002. "Firm Size and Export Intensity: Solving an Empirical Puzzle," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(3), pages 603-613, September.
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey Nugent, 2003.
"Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 1-24, August.
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2003. "Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis," Industrial Organization 0312001, EconWPA.
- Xiaohui Liu & Chang Shu, 2003. "Determinants of Export Performance: Evidence from Chinese Industries," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 45-67, March.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2003. "Chandler in a Larger Frame: Markets, Transaction Costs, and Organizational Form in History," Working papers 2003-16R, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2004.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp06-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.