External technology sourcing: The effect of uncertainty on governance mode choice
This study examines the effect of external and relational uncertainty on the governance choice for inter-organizational technology sourcing. We develop a number of hypotheses about the impact of environmental turbulence, technological newness, technological distance and prior cooperation on the choice between different governance modes. Data about external technology sourcing transactions in the pharmaceutical industry do not provide evidence for a continuum from less to more integrated sourcing modes. However, we find that the ranking depends on the type of uncertainty, indicating that firms tackle different types of uncertainty with different governance modes.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dushnitsky, Gary & Lenox, Michael J., 2005. "When do incumbents learn from entrepreneurial ventures?: Corporate venture capital and investing firm innovation rates," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 615-639, June.
- Ozgen, Eren & Baron, Robert A., 2007. "Social sources of information in opportunity recognition: Effects of mentors, industry networks, and professional forums," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 174-192, March.
- John Hagedoorn, 2002. "External Sources of Innovative Capabilities: The Preferences for Strategic Alliances or Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 167-188, 03.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- Jarillo, J. Carlos, 1989. "Entrepreneurship and growth: the strategic use of external resources," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-147, March.
- Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2000. "Synergies In Strategic Alliances: Motivation And Outcomes Of Complementary And Synergistic Knowledge Networks," Working Papers 4-2000, Copenhagen Business School, Department of International Economics and Management.
- George, Gerard & Zahra, Shaker A. & Wood, D. Jr., 2002. "The effects of business-university alliances on innovative output and financial performance: a study of publicly traded biotechnology companies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 577-609, October.
- Garette, Bernard & Dussauge, Pierre, 2000. "Alliances versus acquisitions: choosing the right option," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 63-69, February.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1986.
"Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits, and Market Value,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 984-1001, December.
- Adam B. Jaffe, 1986. "Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits and Market Value," NBER Working Papers 1815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Cantwell & Massimo Colombo, 2000. "Technological and Output Complementarities, and Inter-Firm Cooperation in Information Technology Ventures," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 117-147, March.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1979. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Winters, Terry E. & Murfin, Donald L., 1988. "Venture capital investing for corporate development objectives," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 207-222.
- Jonathan P. O'Brien & Timothy B. Folta & Douglas R. Johnson, 2003. "A real options perspective on entrepreneurial entry in the face of uncertainty," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(8), pages 515-533.
- Sahal, Devendra, 1985. "Technological guideposts and innovation avenues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 61-82, April.
- Allen, Stephen A. & Hevert, Kathleen T., 2007. "Venture capital investing by information technology companies: Did it pay?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 262-282, March.
- Jones, Gary K. & LanctotJR., Aldor & Teegen, Hildy J., 2001. "Determinants and performance impacts of external technology acquisition," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 255-283, May.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung & Wang, Jiann-Chyuan, 2008. "External technology acquisition and firm performance: A longitudinal study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 91-112, January.
- Bart Nooteboom, 2004. "Governance and competence: how can they be combined?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 505-525, July.
- Dushnitsky, Gary & Lenox, Michael J., 2006. "When does corporate venture capital investment create firm value?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 753-772, November.
- Reuer, Jeffrey J. & Arino, Africa & Mellewigt, Thomas, 2006. "Entrepreneurial alliances as contractual forms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 306-325, May.
- John Hagedoorn, 1999. "The Transition from Strategic Technology Alliances to Mergers and Acquisitions: An Exploratory Study," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 87-107, 01.
- Patel, Pari & Pavitt, Keith, 1997. "The technological competencies of the world's largest firms: Complex and path-dependent, but not much variety," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 141-156, May.
- Sykes, Hollister B., 1990. "Corporate venture capital: Strategies for success," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 37-47, January.
- Siegel, Robin & Siegel, Eric & MacMillan, Ian C., 1988. "Corporate venture capitalists: Autonomy, obstacles, and performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 233-247.
- Balakrishnan, Srinivasan & Koza, Mitchell P., 1993. "Information asymmetry, adverse selection and joint-ventures : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 99-117, January.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1991. "Predictors and financial outcomes of corporate entrepreneurship: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 259-285, July.
- Soh, Pek-Hooi, 2003. "The role of networking alliances in information acquisition and its implications for new product performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 727-744, November.
- Rothaermel, Frank T. & Deeds, David L., 2006. "Alliance type, alliance experience and alliance management capability in high-technology ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 429-460, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2007019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.