The Ambivalence of Two-Part Tariffs for Bottleneck Access
Two-part tariffs, when used at the retail level, increase efficiency by lowering the price of marginal units. The same potential for higher efficiency exists for two-part tariffs at wholesale level for a given market structure, but the fixed part of the wholesale tariff can negatively affect the latter. In a simulated competition model of next-generation telecommunications access networks that has been calibrated with engineering cost data, we show that the latter effects strongly outweigh the former. That is, substituting a cost-based linear wholesale access tariff with revenue-equivalent two-part tariffs reduces the number of access seekers and therefore leads to higher prices and lower welfare and consumer surplus. JEL codes:
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Campolide, 1099-032 Lisboa|
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert D. Willig, 1978. "Pareto-Superior Nonlinear Outlay Schedules," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(1), pages 56-69, Spring.
- Federico Boffa & John Panzar, 2012.
"Bottleneck co-ownership as a regulatory alternative,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 201-215, April.
- Federico Boffa & John Panzar, 2011. "Bottleneck co-ownership as a regulatory alternative," Working Papers 2011/38, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, July.
- Panzar, J. C. & Sibley, D. S., 1989. "Optimal two-part tariffs for inputs : The case of imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 237-249, November.
- Kenneth Fjell & Øystein Foros & Debashis Pal, 2010. "Endogenous Average Cost Based Access Pricing," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 36(2), pages 149-162, March.
- Kenneth Fjell & Øystein Foros & Debashis Pal, 2006. "Endogenous Average Cost Based Access Pricing," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2006-01, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Ordover, Janusz A & Panzar, John C, 1982. "On the Nonlinear Pricing of Inputs," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(3), pages 659-675, October.
- Valletti, Tommaso, 1998. "Two-part access pricing and imperfect competition," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 305-323, September.
- Roman Inderst & Greg Shaffer, 2009. "Market power, price discrimination, and allocative efficiency in intermediate-goods markets," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(4), pages 658-672.
- Tilman Klumpp & Xuejuan Su, 2010. "Open Access and Dynamic Efficiency," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 64-96, May.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2001. "Price Regulation for Independent Transmission Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 141-165, September.
- Brito, Duarte & Pereira, Pedro & Vareda, João, 2010. "Can two-part tariffs promote efficient investment on next generation networks?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 323-333, May.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira & João Vareda, 2008. "Can Two-Part Tariffs Promote Efficient Investment on Next Generation Networks?," Working Papers 34, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1991. "Monopolistic Competition on the Pyramid," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 355-368, June.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2003. "Price Regulation of Access to Telecommunications Networks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 830-862, September.
- Hoernig, Steffen & Jay, Stephan & Neumann, Karl-Heinz & Peitz, Martin & Plückebaum, Thomas & Vogelsang, Ingo, 2012. "The impact of different fibre access network technologies on cost, competition and welfare," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 96-112. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)