Climate change vulnerability and the identification of least developed countries
This paper reviews the role of climate change vulnerability in identifying least developed countries (LDCs). Taking a sustainable development perspective, it argues that climate change should be seen as an aggravating factor of existing handicaps and many indicators used to identify LDCs already capture relevant structural vulnerabilities to climate change. However, the paper proposes some refinements in the LDC criteria to better capture vulnerabilities from natural disasters and in coastal areas. These refinements affected the vulnerability ranking in the recent triennial review, but had no impact the eligibility of countries for inclusion in and graduation from the LDC category.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/cdp/cdp_bg_papers.shtml|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabian Barthel & Eric Neumayer, 2010.
"Normalizing economic loss from natural disasters: a global analysis,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
37601, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eric Neumayer & Fabian Barthel, 2010. "Normalizing economic loss from natural disasters: a global analysis," GRI Working Papers 31, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Eric Neumayer & Fabian Barthel, 2011. "Normalizing economic loss from natural disasters: a global analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 30785, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alvaro Calzadilla & Katrin Rehdanz & Richard Betts & Pete Falloon & Andy Wiltshire & Richard S.J. Tol, 2010.
"Climate Change Impacts on Global Agriculture,"
FNU-185, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Apr 2010.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Laplante, Benoit & Meisner, Craig & Wheeler, David & Jianping Yan, 2007. "The impact of sea level rise on developing countries : a comparative analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4136, The World Bank.
- Arief Anshory Yusuf & Herminia Francisco, 2009. "Climate Change Vulnerability Mapping for Southeast Asia," EEPSEA Special and Technical Paper tp200901s1, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Jan 2009.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:une:cpaper:015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aimee Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.