Traditional Agricultural Exports, External Dependency And Domestic Price Policies. African Coffee Exports In A Comparative Perspective
The paper analyses the impact of price variables on coffee production and exports in a selected group of developing countries, with particular focus on a subgroup of Sub-Saharan countries. Due to the dependency of coffee producers on the vagaries of the international market, direct crop taxation and exchange rate policies in these countries are found to be only partially endogenous. The long-run impact of policies on producers’ behaviour is then tested by means of a cross-country linear regression model. About one third of cross-country variability in planted areas is found to be attributable to exchange rate and, to a lesser extent, taxation policies. However, price policies do not appear to exert any significant impact on yields. No parametrically significant difference between sub-Saharan Africa and the rest of the world emerges from the analysis. The results show that, in the case of coffee, the weight of domestic price policies in determining production and exports is relevant, but should not be exaggerated, as most of the cross-country variability in performance in the coffee sector is in fact related to non-price factors, some of which can be modified by strategic non-price policy interventions.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 22 907 12 34
Fax: +41 22 907 00 43
Web page: http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Page.asp?intItemID=2101&lang=1
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E., 1995.
"Aggregate agricultural supply response in developing countries : a survey of selected issues,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1485, The World Bank.
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E, 1997. "Aggregate Agricultural Supply Response in Developing Countries: A Survey of Selected Issues," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 393-410, January.
- Jaeger, W.K., 1992. "The Effects of Economic Policies on African Agriculture," World Bank - Discussion Papers 147, World Bank.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1998.
"Explaining African economic performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1997-02.2, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Binswanger, Hans P & McIntire, John, 1987. "Behavioral and Material Determinants of Production Relations in Land-Abundant Tropical Agriculture," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 73-99, October.
- Hayami, Y & Platteau, J-P, 1997. "Resource Endowments and Agricultural Development : Africa vs. Asia," Papers 192, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unc:dispap:140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Mayer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.