Low Investment Is Not the Constraint on African Development
While many analysts decry the lack of sufficient investment in Africa, we find no evidence that private and public investment are productive, either in Africa as a whole (unless Botswana is included in the sample), or in the manufacturing sector in Tanzania. In this restricted sense, inadequate investment is not the major obstacle to African economic development.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howard Pack, 1994. "Endogenous Growth Theory: Intellectual Appeal and Empirical Shortcomings," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 55-72, Winter.
- Easterly, W & Levine, R, 1996.
"Africa's Growth Tragedy : Policies and Ethnic Divisions,"
536, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Vinaya Swaroop & Heng-fu Zou, 1996.
"The composition of public expenditure and economic growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
77, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Heng-fu, Zou, 1996. "The composition of public expenditure and economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 313-344, April.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A, 2002. "An African Success Story: Botswana," CEPR Discussion Papers 3219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," MPRA Paper 13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:3:p:789-802 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin A. Hassett & Stephen D. Oliner, 1992.
"Reassessing the social returns to equipment investment,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
129, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin A. Hassett & Stephen D. Oliner, 1993. "Reassessing the Social Returns to Equipment Investment," NBER Working Papers 4405, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pack, Howard & Pack, Janet Rothenberg, 1993. "Foreign Aid and the Question of Fungibility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 258-65, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:y:2003:v:51:i:3:p:547-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.