Revealed Factor Intensity Indices at the Product Level
This paper describes a data-intensive methodology to generate indices that indicate “revealed” factor intensity of traded goods, at the most disaggregated level of product classification (SITC 5-digit or HS 6-digit). We construct the indices by calculating, for each good, a weighted average of the factor abundance of the countries that export this good, where the weights are variants of Balassa’s Revealed Comparative Advantage index. In doing so, we take advantage of recent improvements in the availability of data on aggregate national endowments of primary factors (capital, education and labour force) using, inter alia, Summer and Heston’s PWT (version 6.2), Barro-Lee’s latest database, the World Bank and COMTRADE databases. The resulting indices are available on the UNCTAD website.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Palais des Nations, CH - 1211 Geneva 10|
Phone: +41 22 907 12 34
Fax: +41 22 907 00 43
Web page: http://www.unctad.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym, 2008.
"Distorted Agricultural Incentives and Economic Development: Asia’s Experience,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kym Anderson, 2009. "Distorted Agricultural Incentives and Economic Development: Asia's Experience," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 351-384, 03.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000.
"International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications,"
CID Working Papers
42, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2001. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 541-63, July.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000. "International Data on Educational Attainment Updates and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Klinger, Bailey, 2006. "Structural Transformation and Patterns of Comparative Advantage in the Product Space," Working Paper Series rwp06-041, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Easterly, William & Kremer, Michael & Pritchett, Lant & Summers, Lawrence H., 1993.
"Good policy or good luck?: Country growth performance and temporary shocks,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 459-483, December.
- William Easterly & Michael Kremer & Lant Pritchett & Lawrence H. Summers, 1993. "Good Policy or Good Luck? Country Growth Performance and Temporary Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larson, David F. & Butzer, Rita & Mundlak, Yair & Crego, Al, 2000.
"A Cross-Country Database for Sector Investment and Capital,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 371-91, May.
- Larson, Donald & Butzer, Rita & Mundlak, Yair & Crego, Al, 1999. "A Cross-Country Database for Sector Investment and Capital," Working Papers 232817, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Center for Agricultural Economic Research.
- Alan B. Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000.
"Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?,"
NBER Working Papers
7591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kyriacou, George A., 1991. "Level and Growth Effects of Human Capital: A Cross-Country Study of the Convergence Hypothesis," Working Papers 91-26, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993.
"International comparisons of educational attainment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993. "International Comparisons of Educational Attainment," NBER Working Papers 4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unc:blupap:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Porcu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.