Deterministic Seasonality versus Seasonal Fractional Integration
We propose in this article the use of a testing procedure due to Robinson (1994) for testing deterministic seasonality versus seasonal fractional integration. A new statistic, based on the score principle, is developed to simultaneously test both the order of integration of the seasonal component and the need of seasonal dummies. Both tests have standard null and local limit distributions. However, finite-sample critical values of the tests are computed, and experiments based on Monte Carlo show that the sizes of the asymptotic tests are too large, these larger sizes being also associated with some superior rejection frequencies compared with the finite-sample-based tests. Using quarterly data for real consumption and income in Canada, the UK and Japan, the results show that both variables are seasonally fractionally integrated for the three countries without need of deterministic seasonal dummies. We also find evidence that the series may be seasonally fractionally cointegrated.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2004|
|Publication status:||Published, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 2005, vol. 134, pp. 445-461|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unav.edu/web/facultad-de-ciencias-economicas-y-empresariales|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Arteche, Josu & Robinson, Peter M., 1998. "Seasonal and cyclical long memory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2241, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paramsothy Silvapulle, 2001.
"A Score Test For Seasonal Fractional Integration And Cointegration,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 85-104.
- Param Silvapulle, 1995. "A Score Test for Seasonal Fractional Integration and Cointegration," Econometrics 9506005, EconWPA, revised 16 Jun 1995.
- Silvapulle, P., 1995. "A Score Test for Seasonal Fractional Integration and Cointegration," Working Papers 95-08, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Carlin, J. B. & Dempster, A. P. & Jonas, A. B., 1985. "On models and methods for Bayesian time series analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 67-90.
- L. A. Gil-Alana & P. M. Robinson, 2001.
"Testing of seasonal fractional integration in UK and Japanese consumption and income,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 95-114.
- Gil-Alana, L. & Robinson, P.M., 1998. "Testing of Seasonal Fractional Integration in U.K. and Japanese Consumption and Income," Economics Working Papers eco98/20, European University Institute.
- Gil-Alana, L A & Robinson, Peter M., 2000. "Testing of seasonal fractional integration in UK and Japanese consumption and income," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2051, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gil-Alana, L. A. & Robinson, P. M., 1997. "Testing of unit root and other nonstationary hypotheses in macroeconomic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 241-268, October.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Ooms, Marius & Hassler, Uwe, 1997. "On the effect of seasonal adjustment on the log-periodogram regression," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 135-141, October.
- Gil-Alaña, L. A. & Robinson, Peter M., 2001. "Testing of seasonal fractional integration in UK and Japanese consumption and income," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 298, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-692, December.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A., 1999. "Testing fractional integration with monthly data," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 613-629, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:una:unccee:wp0704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.