Information Variability Impacts in Auctions
A wide variety of auction models exhibit close relationships between the winner's expected profit and the expected difference between the highest and second-highest order statistics of bidders' information, and between expected revenue and the second-highest order statistic of bidders' expected asset values. We use stochastic orderings to see when greater environmental variability of bidders' information enhances expected profit and expected revenue.
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 118 Professional Building, Columbia, MO 65211|
Phone: (573) 882-0063
Fax: (573) 882-2697
Web page: http://economics.missouri.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Pesendorfer & Jeroen M. Swinkels, 1996.
"Efficiency and Information Aggregation in Auctions,"
1168, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jeroen M. Swinkels & Wolfgang Pesendorfer, 2000. "Efficiency and Information Aggregation in Auctions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 499-525, June.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1981. "Optimal Auction Design," Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 58-73, February.
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, 2005.
"Log-concave probability and its applications,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(2), pages 445-469, 08.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Theo Offerman, 1999.
"Competitive Bidding in Auctions with Private and Common Values,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
337, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Theo Offerman, 2003. "Competitive Bidding in Auctions with Private and Common Values," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 598-613, 07.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Theo Offerman, 2000. "Competitive Bidding in Auctions with Private and Common Values," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-044/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Vlad Mares & Ronald Harstad, 2007.
"Ex-post full surplus extraction, straightforwardly,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 32(2), pages 399-410, August.
- Ronald M. Harstad & Vlad Mares, 2005. "Ex-Post Full Surplus Extraction, Straightforwardly," Working Papers 0515, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Bartoszewicz, Jaroslaw, 1986. "Dispersive ordering and the total time on test transformation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 285-288, October.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Vaimaki, 2000.
"Information Acquisition and Efficient Mechanism Design,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Valimaki, 2002. "Information Acquisition and Efficient Mechanism Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1007-1033, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umc:wpaper:0908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerie Kulp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.