Transcendental vs. Comparative Approaches to Justice : A Reappraisal of Sen’s Dichotomy
In The Idea of Justice, Sen describes two competing approaches to theorizing about justice: “transcendental institutionalism,” in which he includes Rawls, and “realization-focused comparison,” in which he includes Condorcet and himself. This paper questions the robustness of his dichotomy through an examination of the works of Condorcet, Rawls, and Sen himself. We show that none belongs exclusively to either tradition. Further, we claim that an appeal to the concept of metaranking, developed by Sen in the 1970s, enables us to overcome the distinction between the transcendental and the comparative traditions and in the last instance to reconcile the two approaches.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg|
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Dewachter & R. Houssa & P.R. Kaltwasser, 2011. "Introduction," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, vol. 56(4), pages 378-382, December.
- Julien Pénin, 2012. "Motivation crowding-out: Is there a risk for science?," Working Papers of BETA 2012-13, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Maria Patrick Llerena, 2012.
"University Technology Transfer: How (in-)efficient are French universities?,"
DIS Technical Reports
2012-02, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2012. "University technology transfer: how (in)efficient are French universities?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 629-654.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2012. "University Technology Transfer: How (in-)efficient are French universities?," Working Papers of BETA 2012-02, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Claude Gamel, 2010. "QUE FAIRE DE « L'APPROCHE PAR LES CAPACITES » ? Pour une lecture « rawlsienne » de l'apport de Sen," Working Papers halshs-00519630, HAL.
- Meixing Dai, 2012.
"Static and Dynamic Effects of Central Bank Transparency,"
Working Papers of BETA
2012-08, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Meixing Dai, 2016. "Static And Dynamic Effects Of Central Bank Transparency," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(1), pages 55-78, 01.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2012. "Are transcendental theories of justice redundant?," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 159-163, June.
- Olivier Cardi & Romain Restout, 2012.
"Unanticipated vs. Anticipated Tax Reforms in a Two-Sector Open Economy,"
Working Papers of BETA
2012-01, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Olivier Cardi & Romain Restout, 2014. "Unanticipated vs. Anticipated Tax Reforms in a Two-Sector Open Economy," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 373-406, April.
- Feriel Kandil, 2010. "Idéale ou comparative : quelle approche pour la justice sociale ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 61(2), pages 213-235.
- Alain Béraud & Gilbert Faccarello, 1999. "Nouvelle histoire de la pensée économique, tome 1," Post-Print halshs-00201472, HAL.
- N. Lesca, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640604, HAL.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Liberty, Unanimity and Rights," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(171), pages 217-245, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2012-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.