Implications of Basel II for Latin America
Despite delays, Basel II remains set to be finalized this year with implementation in Basel Committee countries by the end of 2006. How will this agreement between a set of G10+ countries affect emerging economies? Two implications are considered here for countries in Latin America. First, earlier papers have suggested that implementation in G10+ may affect the cost of capital and may introduce pro-cyclicality. The analysis presented indicates that these concerns may be exaggerated depending on the value of critical parameters. Second, Latin America may choose to implement the new agreement locally. Five country characteristics are detailed that might serve as a guide to govern whether and if so how Basel II should be implemented. Moreover, a simpler Centralized Rating Based (CRB) approach to enhance provisioning is proposed as an initial or transition step for the region. Finally, a number of largely unresolved, cross-border issues are discussed.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires|
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jackson, Patricia & Perraudin, William, 2000. "Regulatory implications of credit risk modelling," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 1-14, January.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 2004.
"Loan pricing under Basel capital requirements,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 496-521, October.
- Andrew Powell, 2004.
"Basel II and Developing Countries: Sailing through the Sea of Standards,"
Business School Working Papers
baseldc, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Powell, Andrew, 2004. "Basel II and developing countries : Sailing through the sea of standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3387, The World Bank.
- Beatrice Weder & Michael Wedow, 2002. "Will Basel II Affect International Capital Flows to Emerging Markets?," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 199, OECD Publishing.
- Hu, Yen-Ting & Kiesel, Rudiger & Perraudin, William, 2002. "The estimation of transition matrices for sovereign credit ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1383-1406, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udt:wpbsdt:basel. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.