El efecto de las empresas extranjeras y la competencia en la eficiencia del sector manufacturero uruguayo 1988-1994
In this study we estimated Stochastic Frontier Production Functions for different sub-samples of panel data of Uruguayan manufacturing firms, to evaluate the spillover effect of the presence of foreign affiliates and international competition on technical efficiency in locally-owned firms. The results suggest that the presence of FDI has a positive effect on the level of technical efficiency in local firms. Furthermore, we found that average technical efficiency in locally-owned firms in industries where foreign affiliates are present is higher than those of firms in industries with no foreign presence. We also found that significant spillover effects on technical efficiency arise when technology gap between local and foreign firms is moderate, and when the foreign affiliate’s sales are mainly oriented to the local market. Moreover, our results suggest that when foreign firms are present in an industry their positive impact on the technical efficiency of local firms seems to be greater than the impact of competition from imported goods.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-277, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Wolff, E.N., 1989. "Multinational Corporations And Productivity Convergence In Mexico," Working Papers 89-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Edward N. Wolff, 1989. "Multinational Corporations and Productivity Convergence in Mexico," NBER Working Papers 3141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:1910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Doneschi)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.