Branching Efficiency in Indian Banking: An Analysis of a Demand-Constrained Network
In the present study we evaluate the overall cost efficiency of a network of branches of a single large public sector bank in India within the city of Calcutta using the data for the year 2012. Our objective is to determine the optimal number of branches within a postal district that could provide the observed amounts of banking services to the customers in that area at the minimum operating cost. Our DEA results show that there is an evidence of ‘over-branching’ and for the entire network reducing the total number of branches would be more cost efficient. However, there are numerous instances, where increasing the number of branches within a market area would be optimal.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Connecticut 365 Fairfield Way, Unit 1063 Storrs, CT 06269-1063|
Phone: (860) 486-4889
Fax: (860) 486-4463
Web page: http://www.econ.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Leusner, John H. & Mingo, John J., 1997.
"The efficiency of bank branches,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 141-162, September.
- Allen N. Berger & John H. Leusner & John J. Mingo, 1994. "The efficiency of bank branches," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-26, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen Berger & John Leusner & John Mingo, 1994. "The Efficiency of Bank Branches," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan, 2013. "A survey on bank branch efficiency and performance research with data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 61-79.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Subhash C. Ray, 2009. "Are Indian Firms too Small? A Nonparametric Analysis of Cost Efficiency and the Optimal Organization of the Indian Manufacturing Industry," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 44(1), pages 49-67, July.
- Oral, Muhittin & Yolalan, Reha, 1990. "An empirical study on measuring operating efficiency and profitability of bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 282-294, June.
- Das, Abhiman & Ray, Subhash C. & Nag, Ashok, 2009.
"Labor-use efficiency in Indian banking: A branch-level analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 411-425, April.
- Abhiman Das & Subhash C. Ray & Ashok Nag, 2005. "Labor-Use Efficiency in Indian Banking: A Branch Level Analysis," Working papers 2005-04, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Schaffnit, Claire & Rosen, Dan & Paradi, Joseph C., 1997. "Best practice analysis of bank branches: An application of DEA in a large Canadian bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 269-289, April.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Bouye, Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Vestergaard, Niels, 2008. "Optimal capacity utilization and reallocation in a German bank branch network: Exploring some strategic scenarios," Working Papers 2008/59, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- K. Kerstens & B.A. Moulaye Hachem & I. Van de Woestyne & N. Vestergaard, 2010. "Optimal capacity utilization and reallocation in a german bank branch network: exploring some strategic scenarios," Post-Print hal-00557669, HAL.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Bouye Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Ignace Van de Woestyne & Niels Vestergaard, 2008. "Optimal Capacity Utilization and Reallocation in a German Bank Branch Network: Exploring Some Strategic Scenarios," Working Papers 2008-ECO-19, IESEG School of Management.
- Henry Tulkens, 1993. "On FDH efficiency analysis: Some methodological issues and applications to retail banking, courts, and urban transit," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 183-210, June.
- Ten Raa, Thijs, 2010. "Efficiency Measures for Industrial Organization," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 45(2), pages 161-192.
- Ray, Subhash C. & Chen, Lei & Mukherjee, Kankana, 2008. "Input price variation across locations and a generalized measure of cost efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 208-218, December.
- Subhash C. Ray & Lei Chen & Kankana Mukherjee, 2008. "Input Price Variation Across Locations and a Generalized Measure of Cost Efficiency," Working papers 2008-11, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giokas, DI, 1991. "Bank branch operating efficiency: A comparative application of DEA and the loglinear model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 549-557.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-666, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uct:uconnp:2014-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark McConnel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.