Locational Determinants of Rural Non-agricultural Employment: Evidence From Brazil
By paying particular attention to the local economic context, this paper analyzes the determinants of non-agricultural employment and earnings in non-agricultural jobs. The empirical analysis is based on the Brazilian Demographic Census, allowing for disaggregated controls for the local economy. Education stands out as one of the key determinants of employment outcome and earnings potential. Failure to control for locational effects, however, can lead to biased estimation of the importance of individual and household-specific characteristics. The empirical results show that local market size and distance to population centers have a significant impact on non-agricultural employment prospects and earnings.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4128 Sproul Hall, Riverside, CA 92521-0427|
Phone: (951) 827-3266
Fax: (951) 827-5685
Web page: http://economics.ucr.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Activities and Poverty in the Brazilian Northeast," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 509-528, March.
- Yang, Dennis T. & An, Mark Yuying, 1997.
"Human Capital, Entrereneurship, and Farm Household Earnings,"
97-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Yang, Dennis Tao & An, Mark Yuying, 2002. "Human capital, entrepreneurship, and farm household earnings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 65-88, June.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001.
"The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries,"
Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(1), October.
- Reardon, Thomas & Berdegue, Julio & Escobar, German, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Latin America: Overview and Policy Implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 395-409, March.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Echeverría, Rubén G., 2000. "Options for rural poverty reduction in Latin America and the Caribbean," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), April.
- Alberto Isgut, 2004. "Non-farm Income and Employment in Rural Honduras: Assessing the Role of Locational Factors," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 59-86.
- Dirven, Martine, 2004. "Rural non-farm employment and rural diversity in Latin America," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Graziano da Silva, Jose & Eduardo Del Grossi, Mauro, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Brazil: Patterns and Evolution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 443-453, March.
- Sonia Laszlo, 2005. "Self-employment earnings and returns to education in rural Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 1247-1287.
- Corral, Leonardo & Reardon, Thomas, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Incomes in Nicaragua," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 427-442, March.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966, December.
- Escobal, Javier, 2001. "The Determinants of Nonfarm Income Diversification in Rural Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 497-508, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucr:wpaper:200802. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelvin Mac)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.